Men’s tennis suffers 5-4 losses against Jeffs and Thoroughbreds

Rohan Shastri ’17 won his doubles match 8-5 with partner Jose Raventos ’16 on Sunday.

Men’s tennis (11-5, 4-2 in the NESCAC) suffered a tough loss last Sunday to rival Amherst, losing 5-4. Williams was also edged out 5-4 by Skidmore on Saturday after beating Bates 6-3 on Thursday.

Hosting rival Amherst, which is ranked No. 3 in the country, the Ephs matched the Jeffs shot-for-shot, but came up just short. Williams took an early 2-1 lead in the match following the doubles portion of the contest, as Conrad Harron ’17 and co-captain Matt Micheli ’14 won at the No. 1 postion while Jose Raventos ’16 and Rohan Shastri ’17 won at the No. 2 position, both by scores of 8-5.

In singles play, the Jeffs staged a comeback, winning four of the six matches. The No. 1 position saw a thrilling match in which Micheli beat Joey Fritz of Amherst 4-6, 7-6 (5), 7-6 (3). The Ephs’ only other singles triumph came from Howie Weiss ’16, who defeated Anton Zykov 6-4, 7-5 at the No. 4 position. Amherst’s Chris Dale edged Harron in three sets at No. 2, winning 5-7, 6-1, 6-2 while Dale’s teammate Michael Solimano bested Alex Schidlovsky ’16 6-1, 6-3 at the No. 3 position. Andrew Yaraghi of Amherst defeated Raventos 6-1, 6-1 at No. 5 and Justin Reindel handled co-captain Adam Reich ’14, 6-1, 6-4 at No. 6.

The previous day, Williams lost by the same one-point margin at Skidmore. The match saw the Ephs go down 2-1 after the doubles competition and split the singles matches 3-3. Raventos and Shastri won 8-4 at No. 2 doubles for the Ephs’ lone doubles victory. Raventos also won his No. 5 singles match 6-4, 3-6, 6-1. Also notching wins for the men were Harron at No. 2 singles, who won 6-4, 6-3, and Schidlovsky at No. 4, who, despite losing the first set 6-7(3), stormed back to win the final two sets 6-3, 6-2.

On Thursday, the Ephs defeated Bates 6-3 in a NESCAC contest. Brian Astrachan ’16 had a particularly good match, teaming with Weiss to eke out a 9-8 win at No. 2 doubles and winning at No. 6 singles in straight sets, 6-4, 6-0. In addition, Micheli again had a three-set victory, prevailing 4-6, 6-2, 6-2. Harron won 6-0, 7-5 at No. 3 singles, and Raventos defeated his opponent in straight sets as well, clinching a 6-4, 6-2 victory for the Ephs.

Williams has three important road matches in the upcoming final full week of the regular season. The men will play at Trinity today before visiting Bowdoin and Colby over the weekend. Williams currently sits in a tie for third place in the NESCAC and will look to build some momentum heading into the NESCAC Championships on May 2.