Men’s lacrosse falls in 14-9 loss to Amherst

Thomas Fowler ’17 scored a hat trick in the men’s 14-5 victory over Vassar last Wednesday.

Men’s lacrosse (8-6, 5-4 in the NESCAC) had highs and lows last week, easily dispatching Vassar 14-5 last Wednesday before falling to archrival Amherst 14-9 on Friday.

Facing the Jeffs, the Ephs struggled immediately following the first whistle as the Jeffs netted the first three goals of the contest. However, the men quickly responded with a goal from Andy Grabowski ’15, who was assisted by Conor Roddy ’16. Tanner MacIvor ’16 scored with 1:38 remaining in the quater off an assist from Peter Crane ’16. With the score at 3-2 in favor of Amherst, the last 30 seconds of the first quarter proved frenetic as both teams notched an additional goal.

Amherst began the second quarter controlling possession and quickly scored another goal. The Jeffs continued to control the ball for several more minutes before finding the back of the net with 9:19 to play in the half, making the score 6-3 in their favor. The Ephs came back as Grabowski scored his second goal of the game and teammate Bryson Gilbert-Bono ’16 followed suit with a goal of his own. However, the Jeffs added two more goals in the remaining five minutes, despite hard play from the Ephs. The score at halftime was 8-5.

The second half opened with a goalie change for Williams as Dan Whittam ’15 was taken out  of the game in favor of Miles McCarthy ’16. McCarthy remained in the net for the rest of the game. The Jeffs proceeded to go on a five-goal scoring run within the first 10 minutes of the third quarter, making the score 13-5. The Ephs responded, putting two goals in the net before the end of the quarter. The tallies came off of the sticks of MacIvor and Grabowski with assists coming from Roddy and Crane, respectively. At the end of the third quarter, the Ephs trailed 13-7.

Although the Ephs came out strong in the fourth and final quarter of the game with a goal from Steven Kiesel ’15, they failed to claw back onto level terms with the Jeffs. Thomas Fowler ’17 notched the final point of the game with a goal assisted by MacIvor. Despite a lopsided score, the play was close and competitive the entire game. Amherst outshot Williams 44-38 and won nine more ground balls than the men. The final score was 14-9 in favor of Amherst.

After the game, Head Coach George McCormack said, “I have to give Amherst credit as they played a great game today. It wasn’t our best day. We didn’t have a great start and a few penalties allowed them to score some important goals.”

The men also added a win to their record when they defeated Vassar at home last Wednesday. The men notched their eighth win in a game that showcased strong defense and a deep bench.

Williams dominated the entire first quater. Grabowski netted four goals in the first quarter with assists from Crane, Riley Hoffman ’17, Jack Lauroesch ’16 and tri-captain David Lee ’14.

While the Brewers notched two goals to start the second quarter, the Ephs shut them down for the remainder of the half. A goal each from MacIvor and Gilbert-Bono and two from Fowler pushed the Ephs to 8-2 going into the break.

Vassar scored the opening goal of the second half, but the men quickly responded. Roddy ripped a shot off a feed from Lauroesch that beat the Brewers’ netminder before Lauroesch netted a goal of his own to extend the Williams lead to 10-3.

The final quarter of play brought a lot of action into Williams’ offensive end. At the 12:05 mark, Joe Kinney ’15 scored for the Ephs. Devlin Nelligan ’17 and Fowler added two more goals in quick succesion to make the score 13-4. In the closing minutes of the game, the Ephs also inserted Patrick Shayer  ’17 between the pipes. Eric Kelley ’14 also notched a goal for the men. Although Vassar scored the final goal of the game, as the final buzzer sounded, the men took home an impressive 14-5 win. Grabowski recorded four goals in the game, while Whittam had 10 saves.

“Everyone contributed, and almost all of our goals were assisted. We really like to see that,” McCormack said.

The men travel to Middlebury today for their last game of the regular season at 5 p.m.