Men’s golf cruises to first at home invite

Cody Semmelrock ’14 fired a stellar 74 on Day One of competition at Taconic Golf Club.

Last weekend, men’s golf dominated the Williams Spring Invitational, with the Williams ‘A’ team shooting a two-day team score of 593 at the Taconic Golf Club to best all fellow NESCAC competitors by at least eight strokes. After firing a 300 amidst blustery conditions to take the lead on Day One of competition, Williams ‘A’ continued its stellar play with a score of 293 on Day Two to firmly claim first place in Williams’ home tournament. The Williams ‘B’ team was also impressive, firing a team score of 609 to tie for third place.

As Taconic Golf Club continued to thaw from last Wednesday’s snowstorm, temporary greens were put into place on three holes and the fifth hole was closed and replaced by a makeshift 80-yard par-3 on the course’s practice green. The men did not let either of these course changes or the cold and windy conditions faze them on Day One of play last Saturday. Leading the ‘A’ team with scores of 74 were co-captain Cody Semmelrock ’14 and Grant Raffel ’17. Not far behind were Jake Goldenring ’15, who fired a 75, and co-captain Jake Abrahams ’14 at 77 for a combined team total of 300. The ‘B’ team also put together a respectable score of 315 for the day led by matching scores of 76 by Max Elgart ’16 and Tony Liu ’16. After the first day of competition, the ‘A’ team found itself in first place, up four strokes over rival Hamilton, while the ‘B’ team settled into sixth place.

On Day Two, the course conditions continued to improve towards their usual high standards as the skies cleared and temperatures stabled. The conditions proved conducive to exceptional play, particularly by the Ephs. Co-captain Dylan Dethier ’14 led the way, rebounding from a less-than-stellar Saturday round with a phenomenal Sunday even-par score of 71. Raffel continued to show his top form, firing a 73 for a two-day total of 147, which propelled him to second place individually for the weekend. Goldenring matched Raffel with an impressive 73 of his own. Rounding out the scores on Day Two for the Ephs was co-captain Ross Bowen ’14 shooting a 76. In total, the men shot an outstanding 293 on the day and 593 for the tournament, besting rival Middlebury by eight strokes. The ‘B’ team demonstrated the men’s incredible depth as it fired a team score of 294 on the day. Elgart led the way with a stellar 72, while Liu, Nate McCue ’15 and Michael Stone ’16 fired matching scores of 74.  The ‘B’ team’s fantastic total on Day Two catapulted it from sixth to third place to finish the weekend. Individually, six Ephs placed in the top 10 and on Sunday, an astonishing 16 players on the team broke 80.

“It was an awesome weekend for the entire team,” Dethier said. “We love to win at home in front of our fans, and getting the entire team on the course was a testament to how deep we go.”

The men will host Little Threes at the Taconic Golf Club today before traveling to Middlebury this weekend for the NESCAC Championships with a spot at NCAA Div. III Nationals on the line.

“The tournament was a perfect buildup to NESCACs this weekend,” Dethier said. We know we’re going to have to go low if we’re going to make it back to Nationals, and we’re excited to have a shot at that opportunity.”