Women’s track and field finishes third to open outdoor season

Women’s track had a strong showing at the West Point Outdoor Open last Saturday, placing third behind Binghamton and Army.

To kick off the West Point Open, co-captain Amina Avril ’14 set a huge personal record with a throw of 57.28 meters in the hammer throw, earning first place and breaking the school record in the process. Co-captain Jenna Adams ’14 also placed first in the pole vault, clearing a height of 3.8 meters. In the jumps, Grace Weatherall ’16 took sixth in the long jump with 5.16 meters, and Chloe Rogers ’17 tied for second in the triple jump with a distance of 11.43 meters.

The members of distance group put up several stellar performances, as Lacey Serletti ’16 took first in the 5k with an impressive time of 17:53.08. Louisa Lee ’14 also placed for the Ephs, finishing in fourth place with a time of 18:41.54.

In the middle distance events, co-captain Brianne Mirecki ’14 competed in the 800 meter, earning first place in a time of 2:18.14. Maggie Peard ’17 and Meg Richardson ’16 both ran a strong 1500 meter race to set personal record times of 4:49.68 and 4:49.85, respectively.

The sprinters also had a strong showing, including co-captain Annie Lynch ’14, who took second in the 100 meter with a time of 12.45 seconds. Weatherall finished in 12.71, and Kelsey Adamson ’16 put in a time of 12.79. Adamson improved on her time from the previous week in the 200 meters, finishing in 26.24. Weatherall also competed in the 100-meter hurdles, running a personal best time of 15.15 seconds. Laura Lee ’17 set a personal record as well in the 400 meters, running a time of 60.88.

Finally, the women put together impressive races in both the 4×100 and 4×400 meter relays.  In the 4×100, the team of Jess O’Brien ’16, co-captain Amanda Murashige ’14, Lynch and Dianna Mejia ’15 finished second with a time of 48.61 seconds. The team of Mejia, Lynch, Alyza Ngbokoli ’17 and Adamson ran a quick time of 3:58.31 in the 4×400 to win the event.

Over spring break, the team competed in the Spike’s Classic at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University on April 4 and 5. Despite unseasonably warm conditions, the Ephs competed extroardinarily  well and won the meet with 146 points. First-place finishes were earned by co-captain Jenna Adams ’14 in the pole vault, Serletti in the steeplechase and Kaleigh Kenny ’14 in the 5k. Avril also won the discus with a throw of 41.03 meters. Additionally, Avril was named both the NESCAC Women’s Field Athlete of the Week and the ECAC New England Div. III Track Athlete of the Week for setting the season standard in NCAA Div. III in the hammer throw in her first competition of the spring.

There were several personal records at the meet as well. In the hammer throw, Alejandra Moran ’17 threw 33.71 meters, more than a six meter personal record, which earned her eighth place. Bethany Berry ’16 finished third with a solid throw of 41.95 meters. Weatherall earned a personal record in the long jump, finishing sixth with a leap of 5.31 meters. O’Brien ran personal record times in the 200 meter and 400 meter, running impressive races in 25.63 and 58.42 seconds, respectively.

Also competing in the 400 meter, Murashige ran a stellar 58.36 to finish second. Murashige set a personal record in the 200 meter prelim as well, finishing in 25.62.

In the distance events, despite high temperatures and humidity, several of the women put up strong performances. In addition to Kenny’s win in the 5k, Emma Zehner ’17 took third, Emily Shea ’16 took fourth and Richardson took fifth. Finally, Shayna Barbash ’14 competed in the 1500 meter, a shorter event than she is used to racing, and ran a strong race, finishing in 4:49.48.

The women also competed in the Spring Break Invitational hosted by the University of North Florida on March 29. Standout performances included Avril in the hammer throw, who placed third with a mark of 54.33 meters; Lynch in the 100 meters with a time of 12.51 seconds and Serletti in the 1500 meters with a time of 4:39.93 and a second-place finish. Shayna Barbash ’14 also ran an impressive 5k, crossing the line in third place with a time of 17:35.36.

“The team is looking really strong, everyone is working hard and looks good to come out firing at Little Threes and then throw down at NESCACs,” co-captain Mirecki said.

A group of distance runners will compete at Princeton on Friday, and the whole team will complete against Amherst and Wesleyan at the Little Three Championships on Saturday.