Women’s golf claims sixth straight victory

Women’s golf started its spring season off with a definitive victory. Last weekend, Williams won its opening tournament of the season, the Vassar College Invitational, with a two-day score of 633, 17 strokes ahead of second place Ithaca.

After a spring break training trip to Howie-in-the-Hills, Fla., the women were ready to face competition. “Our spring break training trip was very productive and fun. We were able to spend the mornings on the range and play 18 in the afternoons. It’s also such a great team bonding experience,” co-captain Georgiana Salant said.

The Ephs started the invitational strong, winning the first day of the two-day tournament with a total score of 319, 15 strokes ahead of second-place Ithaca, who shot 334, and 17 points ahead of third-place Middlebury, who carded a 336. The Ephs were lead by Sarah Hasselman ’17, who finished the day with a score of 78, tying her for first place with Sharon Li from Ithaca, Rebecca Studin from SUNY Cortland, and Madi Mendiola from Mount Holyoke. Tracy Kim ’17 trailed Hasselman by just one stroke, which put her in a tie for fifth. Shelby Shote ’15 and Salant tied for ninth place with a Day-One score of 81, while co-captain Emily Wickstrom ’14 rounded out the Eph roster by finishing 11th with a score of 82. Caroline Sawin ’15, who played as an individual and was not factored into the total team score, shot 85, which would have placed her in 20th after Day One.

Day Two went equally well for the Ephs, who finished in first place overall for the second straight day with a score of 314. This brought their combined score to 633, which was 17 full points ahead of second-place Ithaca. On Day Two, the Ephs were led individually by Salant, who improved tremendously on her Day-One score, carding a 74, which was enough to put her in third place overall. Shote and Hasselman scored 79 and 82 respectively on the second day of competition, tying them for seventh place with total scores of 160. Wickstrom finished in 10th overall with a score of 161 and an impressive 79 for Day Two. Kim rounded out the Ephs’ roster with a second-day score of 85, which gave her an aggregate of 164, and put her in 13th place overall. Sawin scored 86 on the second day, giving her an aggregate total of 171.

“The Vassar Invitational was a great start to our season,” Salant said. “While we didn’t tap into our full potential, I think our team gained some much needed confidence last weekend.”

After an impressive start to the spring season, the Ephs now look to the Jack Leamen Invitation hosted by rival Amherst this coming Saturday and Sunday.