Women’s crew rows through competition

Women’s crew arrived in Worcester, Mass., last Saturday ready to defend the Donahue Cup at Lake Quinsigamond. Competing crews included WPI, Simmons, Franklin & Marshall and Conn. College. With victories in the 1V, 2V and Novice 8 races, the women conquered the field once again. On April 6, the women competed at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst and on April 5, they raced in Philadelphia, Penn.

At the Donahue Cup, the 1V boat raced first and set a highly competitive tone for the day, leading the field from beginning to end. Finishing with a time of 6:40.70, the women bested second-place WPI by six seconds, with the rest of the field falling farther behind.

The 2V raced second, earning a time of 7:02.50 and finishing 11 seconds ahead of WPI. The third race of the day featured the Williams 3V. Though they eventually fell to WPI, the women maintained contact with the other boats for over 1000 meters. They finished in 7:27.28, 11 seconds behind WPI and over 30 seconds ahead of third-place Simmons.

Wrapping up the competition for the day, the Novice 8 faced off against Conn. College. Though both crews were close early in the race, the Williams novices finished 15 seconds ahead of Conn College with a time of 7:20.30.

“I am happy with the progression of our team over the past week,” Head Coach Kate Maloney said. “This season, even in its infancy, has presented us with significant challenges, and I feel that our team, from the seniors to the freshmen, has done a great job adjusting and moving forward. I look forward to the upcoming weeks of practice and racing because I think the true caliber of this group will continue to assert itself.”

On April 6 and April 5, the Ephs raced in Philadelphia, Penn. and Hadley, Mass., respectively. On Sunday, the women faced Div. III competitors William Smith, Wellesley and UNH, while Div. I host UMass scrimmaged the other crews.

Only the 2V emerged with a win on Sunday, defeating William Smith by two seconds with a time of 6:16.79. Though a strong downstream current and floating quick start presented atypical conditions for the women, they also allowed for faster times than usual in collegiate events.

The 1V rowed a hard-fought race to start off the day, falling to William Smith and Wellesley by two-second and three-second margins respectively with a finish time of 6:08.63. Following the 2V boat’s victory, the varsity four raced against a single Div. III competitor, Wellesley and Div. I UMass. Though the Williams lineup typically does not feature a varsity four, the crew managed to beat Wellesley by 36 seconds with a time of 6:55.32, only three seconds slower than UMass. The Novice 8 once again closed out the day, finishing third behind Wellesley and William Smith in 6:33.01.

The women scrimmaged Div. I crews Duquesne and Drexel on the Schuylkill River on April 5.

Next Saturday, the women hope to race on their home course on Lake Onota, facing Wesleyan in the Little Three regatta. Amherst will not be participating in the event.