Men’s track sprints to 5th at West Point

Men’s track ran last Saturday along the sparkling waters of the Hudson at West Point’s Army Six-Way invitational. Facing competition from Div. I, II and III, Williams placed fifth out of six teams, ahead of Colgate and behind NESCAC rival Middlebury.

Peter Hale ’17 opened the day for the men, making his debut in the 3000-meter steeplechase. With a time of 10:01.9, he finished in third place. “All of his water jumps were clean, and his hurdling was solid. As he gets more confidence, he’ll be more fluid in terms of getting over steeples,” Assistant Coach Lance Harden said.

Andrew Beaudoin ’15 and co-captain Nick Wolf ’14 ran next in the 1500 meter. Both runners got off the line quickly and immediately positioned themselves at the head of the pack. Wolf held pace and finished with a personal record of 4:01.92 for seventh place, while Beaudoin was close behind in 4:03.00 for 10th. The second heat of the 1500 meter included Kyle Kistinger ’16 and Steve Yannacone ’17, who took the lead from the start as well. They worked off each other throughout the race, and Kistinger and Yannacone crossed the line with times of 4:02.61 and 4.03.26, respectively.

In the sprints, Nolan Raimo ’16 ran his first open 100 meter in a time of 11.28 seconds. Alex Deaderick ’16 ran an 11.29 in the same event, and Kevin Persons ’16 placed sixth in the 200 meter with a time of 23.00. Izzy Davila ’16 had an electrifying first race of the year in the 400-meter hurdles, making a statement with a huge personal record of 58.20.

In the hammer throw, Olivier Joseph ’17 made it to the finals with a throw of 38.80 meters. Matthew Marcarelli ’17 had a big personal record of 13.12 meters in the shot put, placing fifth. “[Marcarelli has] really shown a lot of improvement from the transition from the 12-pound weight in high school to the 16-pound weight in college,” Harden said. In the high jump, Youle Chen ’17 took third with a jump of 1.90 meters.

A large contingent of Ephs raced in the 800 meter. Todd Ford ’16 ran in the faster heat with a time of 1:57.41 to qualify for Div. III New England’s. In the second section, Eric Schneider ’15 had a breakout race, improving four seconds from last week’s race at Embry-Riddle with a blazing 1:55.85. “[Schneider] showed a lot of confidence getting out and setting the tone of the race, and he was able to power home in the home stretch,” said Harden.

In the 5k, Cole Townsend ’15 finished in 15:16.25. He started the race in 10th place and finished in third. His performance qualifies him for Div. III New England’s and was well under his goal of 15:25.

Over spring break, a majority of the team opened their season at two meets in Florida during their training trip. At the University of North Florida Spring Break Invitational, highlights included Chen in the high jump with an impressive leap of 1.93 meters, and a one-two-three sweep in the 5k by Aldis Inde ’15 in 14:55.86, co-captain Chris Lee ’14 in 14:58.40 and Bijan Mazaheri ’16 in 15:04.70. “In Florida we raced faster than expected, energized by the warmer weather and better rest following midterms,” Assistant Coach Pete Farwell ’73 said.

At the Embry-Riddle Spikes Classic, the 4×800 team of Yannacone, Beaudoin, Wolf and Sam Burrington ’17 came together spectacularly to defeat Embry-Riddle’s team and set a new school record by over three seconds, finishing in 7:37.31. “The mid-distance men were amazing in the Friday 4×800, each running their best split ever,” said Farwell.

This Friday, the men will be competing at Princeton University.