Men’s lacrosse overpowers NESCAC foe Colby 10-7

Photo courtesy of Sports Information Andy Grabowski ’15 scored three goals in the men’s 10-7 victory over Colby on Saturday.
Photo courtesy of Sports Information
Andy Grabowski ’15 scored three goals in the men’s 10-7 victory over Colby on Saturday.

Men’s lacrosse (7-5, 5-3 in the NESCAC) rebounded with a 10-7 victory over Colby last Saturday after dropping a match to Hamilton 9-6 on April 8. Over spring break, the Ephs faced five different teams and compiled a 2-3 record against stiff competition over that stretch. Before break, the men defeated Conn. College 7-6 on March 15.

Last weekend, the men put a stop to their two-game losing streak, downing Colby in their first true home game of the season. Cole Field was home to many spectators and fans on Saturday as the Ephs showcased their skills on the grass. Andy Grabowski ’15 netted a hat trick that was instrumental to the Ephs’ 10-7 win and Dan Whittam ’15 proved to be a presence between the pipes. The men opened up the game with two goals from Conor Roddy ’16 and the rest of the first quarter proved to be an instrumental time for the Ephs as they finished the quarter with a commanding 6-1 lead.

Colby increased its intensity for the rest of the game, but could not overcome the five-goal deficit. The Mules mounted a comeback in the final quarter, shutting out the Ephs and notching two early goals of their own. The Eph defense remained strong against the continuous battering of the Mules’ attack and the Ephs came away from the contest with a win.

“It was great to see such a strong start in the first half, especially coming off of two tough conference losses,” tri-captain Ben Allison ’14 said. “The offense put us where we wanted to be by halftime and Whittam had a great game in net.”

On April 8, the men took on Hamilton at MCLA. Although the Ephs outshot the Continentals, they did not put enough shots into the back of the net and fell 9-6. The teams remained neck-and-neck for much of the game until Hamilton capitalized on two man-up situations that allowed them to take a one-goal lead over Williams in the third quarter. The fourth quarter belonged to the Continentals as they notched two more goals that put the game out of reach for the Ephs.

Playing at MCLA, the men faced off against Wesleyan on April 5. The Ephs battled for the entire first quarter, scoring the lone goal and entering the second quarter up 1-0. However, Wesleyan began to pull ahead, scoring two goals in the second quarter to Williams’ one and four goals in the third quarter to Williams’ two. Despite a strong comeback effort, the Ephs fell to the Cardinals in the last 42 seconds of the game when the Cardinals scored to take the 8-7 victory over the Ephs.

Returning to Williamstown and NESCAC play after their spring break trip, the men faced Tufts at Keene State on April 1. The Ephs toppled the top-ranked Jumbos by taking complete control of the game and repeatedly finding the back of the net. Although the Ephs found themselves trailing 5-2 early in the game, they never stopped attacking the Jumbos and soon gained the lead and never gave it up. The Ephs impressed with their fluid transition offense, dynamic attack and staunch defense. The game ended 15-8 in the Ephs’ favor, a huge upset and an impressive victory.

Over break, the men headed to Baltimore, Md., to play two nationally ranked teams in Union and Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) on March 26 and March 28, respectively. In their game against top-ranked RIT, the men stayed with their opponents for much of the first quarter. However, RIT pulled away in the second and third quarters, leading 12-6 at the end of the third. Although the Ephs put together another late surge, they could not overcome the goal deficit and lost 15-10. The men put up a strong fight against Union, trailing them for most of the game before beginning a late fourth quarter surge. With eight minutes to play in the fourth quarter, the men were leading 7-6, but a Union goal with 1:46 left in the game knotted the score and sent the game into overtime. Union capitalized early into overtime, defeating Williams 8-7.

Against Bates on March 22, Williams entered the contest on a four-game winning streak and kept their momentum, winning 9-7 after sealing the victory with a four-goal surge late in the second half. The win against Bates showcased the depth of the team, with goals coming from seven different shooters and assists coming from five different players. The men dispatched Conn. College by a score of 7-6 on March 15.

The men take on Vassar at home at 4:30 p.m today. This Saturday, the men host NESCAC rival Amherst for a 6 p.m. game.