Men’s golf pulls out narrow victory over Div. III foes

Last weekend, men’s golf fired an impressive two-day score of 590 to secure a victory in the NYU/Manhattanville Invitational. Grant Raffel ’17 took medalist honors in the event as the Ephs came away from the tournament with two first-place trophies. On April 5 and 6, the men teed off in the Rhody Invitational at the University of Rhode Island and battled to a fourth-place finish as the only Div. III school in the seven-team field.

On the first day of play at the NYU/Manhattanville Invitational, the men shot an impressive 294, eight strokes better than NESCAC foe Middlebury, the next closest team. Raffel shot a blazing even-par 71 to lead the Ephs, while Jake Goldenring ’15 was right on his heels, firing a steady 73. The final contributors to the men’s four Day-One scores were co-captains Cody Semmelrock ’14 and Jake Abrahams ’14 who both fired exceptional scores of 75. Co-captain Dylan Dethier ’14 was right behind his teammates, firing a 76.

On Day Two of the tournament, the men continued their consistent team play, shooting an equally noteworthy 296 to best rival Middlebury by one stroke for the tournament title. Once again, leading the way for the Ephs was Raffel who launched a stellar 73 on the day for a two-day total of 144. After a clutch birdie on the final hole propelled him into a sudden death playoff for the individual title, Raffel notched another birdie to take home the crown. “Grant Raffel’s performance all weekend and in the playoff made him very deserving of his first collegiate victory,” Abrahams said. Following Raffel for the Ephs were Goldenring and Dethier who fired matching scores of 74. Semmelrock rounded out the men’s scoring with a steady 75 while Abrahams was close behind shooting a 76. Williams’ remarkably consistent scores placed all five players in the top 15 individually in the 60-plus-man field. The team title was the men’s first since the Williams Invitational last fall.

“This was a really impressive win for our team,” Abrahams said. “Middlebury made an incredible charge on Sunday, and we had to continue our strong play from Saturday to hold them off. All five players battled and demonstrated resolve down the stretch.”

From April 5 to 6, the men played in the Rhody Invitational and held their own against Div. I foes. After the first day of competition, the men found themselves tied for second place with a team score of 305. Raffel led the way with a stellar one-over-par score of 73, while Dethier and Semmelrock followed with impressive first-round tallies of 74 and 75, respectfully.

On Day Two of competition, the men failed to complete their title bid but continued to play consistent golf amidst tough competition. Dethier matched his Day-One score of 74 for a two-day total of 148 and a fifth-place finish individually. Semmelrock fired a 77 on Sunday to also put him in the top 10 overall for the weekend. The men finished with a two-day total of 616, good for a fourth-place finish.

The men’s fine play and consistency last weekend bodes well for the rest of the spring season. This weekend, the men will host the Williams Invitational at the Taconic Golf Club. The Ephs tee off at 11 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.