Mad Macs opens store on Spring Street

April 16, 2014 by Emily O'Brien, News Editor

Mad Macs, which sells Apple products, opened on Spring Street on April 1.

Mad Macs, which sells Apple products, opened on Spring Street on April 1. Photo courtesy of Christian Ruhl/Photo Editor.

Mad Macs, the county’s only authorized retail outlet for Apple computer products and accessories, is expanding its services into Northern Berkshire County. On April 1, Mad Macs opened its second location on Spring Street.

Mad Macs has been in business for 16 years. The company was primarily a computer services and support business for the first 13 years of its existence, but later applied to be an authorized reseller of Apple products. The company started its first retail store in Pittsfield in 2011.

After the retail operation gained popularity, the company decided to open a second site. Following a countywide search, Mad Macs settled on Williamstown.

The co-owner of Mad Macs, Scott Kirchner, said that he and co-owner Daryl Corbett finalized a three-year lease with the College for its own space at 36 Spring St., replacing the School for Style, a clothing store that opened up as a pop-up shop in August.

According to Frederick Puddester, vice president of finance and administration, the College is always interested in encouraging the establishment of new businesses like Mad Macs that “meet the diverse needs of our students, faculty and alums.”

The Williamstown store  is a full retail establishment and offers the same products and services that Mad Macs offers at its store in Pittsfield, according to Kirchner. Mad Macs stocks several Apple products, except for the iPhone, although it does offer iPhone accessories.

“The Williams market bodes well for us,” Kirchner said. “There’s an especially high concentration of Apple usage between the students and faculty at Williams.” Because of the lack of authorized Apple service in Williamstown, Kirchner believes that  by offering a convenient option for nearby Apple users, the store will be  successful.

Kirchner said that the store is planning a grand opening for later in April. This soft opening allowed  the business to work out any kinks during what would normally be a slow period while the College was on its spring break.

Mad Macs added four full-time employees to its work force in preparation for the new store, bringing its total number of employees to 13. Kirchner said the company expects to add one more full-time position and one part-time position at the Williamstown location after it evaluates how much business the company successfully attracts.