Ephs overwhelm three conference foes

Linda Shin ’17 decisively won her doubles match 8-0 in the women’s 9-0 home victory over Hamilton last Sunday.

Women’s tennis (15-0, 5-0 in the NESCAC), ranked second in the nation, remains undefeated after three wins last weekend. On Sunday, the women topped Hamilton and Trinity in 9-0 wins and on Saturday, they beat Tufts 9-0. The women also took a series of victories in California over spring break. They beat Azusa Pacific, University of Chicago, Redlands, Pomona-Pitzer, Point Loma and Claremont-McKenna-Scripps before taking down conference foes Middlebury.

The women faced Hamilton and Trinity in their spring season home openers on Sunday and crushed both teams 9-0. Against Hamilton, no player allowed her opponent to take more than two games in the match in singles play: co-captain Kara Shoemaker ’14, Rebecca Curran ’15, Hannah Atkinson ’14 and co-captain Kathleen Elkins ’14 all won their matches 6-1, 6-0 and Monica Pastor ’15 recorded a 6-2, 6-0 victory. The Ephs had similarly strong play in doubles, as Shoemaker and Curran won 8-1, Linda Shin ’17 and Alex Stone ’16 won 8-0, and Atkinson and Maya Hart ’16 won 8-0. The women played just as well later that day when they faced Trinity. Pastor annihilated her opponent, winning 6-0, 6-0. Shin and Maria Pylypiv ’15 each won their matches 6-2, 6-2, while Elkins and Curran pulled out 6-1, 6-1 victories. Atkinson rounded out the singles victories, defeating her opponent 6-0, 6-1. In doubles, Elkins and Pastor won their match 8-2, Shin and Stone won theirs 8-1 and Atkinson and Hart held on for the victory against a tough opponent, winning 8-6.

In their first match back from break the women faced another NESCAC opponent, Tufts, last Saturday, a match the women won 9-0. Shoemaker and Elkins each had tough first sets but fought hard and pulled off straight-set victories, with Shoemaker winning 7-6 (6), 6-0 and Elkins winning 7-5, 6-0. Shin and Curran both blew their opponents away, the former winning 6-1, 6-2 and the latter 6-0, 6-3. The doubles pairs of Atkinson and Hart and Elkins and Pylypiv both won their matches 8-4, while Shin and Stone won 8-3.

The women played their first NESCAC match of the spring season against Middlebury on April 6, coming away with a 7-2 win. In singles, Shoemaker again rallied after a loss in the first set to win her match 3-6, 6-4, 6-2. Shin crushed her opponent 6-0 in her first game and then fought hard to win the second game 7-5. Pylpyiv won her singles match 6-3, 6-0 and her doubles match with Elkins 8-1. Pylypiv was named NESCAC Player of the Week and the ECAC Div. III Player of the Week for her role in the Ephs’ victory over the Panthers. She has an impressive 16-0 record for the spring season.

On April 2, the women topped Claremont-McKenna-Scripps in their final match in California, winning 6-3. The team crushed Point Loma 9-0 on April 1 with everyone having strong matches. On March 29, the team won their match against Pomona-Pitzer 8-1. The women were also victorious against Redlands on March 28. On March 27, the women defeated University of Chicago 9-0. The women began their successful run with a hard-fought 5-4 victory over Azusa Pacific on March 24 on their trip to California.

“Playing several top-ranked teams over spring break gave us a lot of confidence going into conference play,” Shoemaker said. “We played three great matches this past weekend and are looking forward to taking on Amherst!”

The women’s next contest is at home against MIT on Friday at 3:30 p.m. After that, the team travels to Amherst to play their NESCAC and Little Three Rival at 2 p.m. on Sunday.

“We are excited to keep improving as a team before MIT and Amherst this coming weekend,”  Elkins said.