College admits 1150 for 2018

As of March 26, 2014, 566 women and 584 men were accepted by the College from a total applicant pool of 6,316, for an overall acceptance rate of 18 percent. “We couldn’t be more pleased with the quality of the admitted group, and have great hopes for matriculating one of the most talented classes ever to grace the campus,” Richard Nesbitt, director of admissions, said.

This year saw a decrease in applicants however, in comparison to the previous two years. For the class of 2016, there were 7,067 applicants, and for the class of 2017, there were of 6,853 applicants. This demonstrates a 10.7-percent drop in the number of applicants between the class of 2016 and the class of 2018, and a 7.8-percent drop in applicants in the last year.

The admitted student body is one of the most diverse in the College’s history. 99 students are non-U.S. citizens, representing 46 different nationalities. Among American students, 49 percent are students of color. 165 students are African American, 218 Asian American, 166 Latino and 10 Native American. 16 percent (179) will be among the first in their families to attend college. 12 percent of the admitted class (139) is affiliated with QuestBridge, an organization which aims to identify talented, high-achieving students from low-income families. Additionally, 81 students admitted to the Class of 2018 participated in Windows on Williams (WOW), a College-sponsored program that provides high-achieving high school seniors from low-income families the opportunity to visit the campus during the fall of their senior year.

Among the admitted students living in the U.S., 29 percent come from the Mid-Atlantic, 9 percent from the West, 18 percent from the Northeast, 11 percent from the South, 8 percent from the Midwest, and 6 percent from the Southwest. Six students are from Puerto Rico and one student is from Guam.

The admitted students’ test scores are among the highest in the college’s history. The average test scores are: 735 SAT Critical Reading, 727 SAT Math, 735 SAT Writing and 33 ACT. The students represent about 800 high schools and 82 percent of them have been reported to graduate in the top 10 percent of their class. 14 students were offered Tyng Scholarships, a need-based scholarship awarded to a group of exceptionally promising applicants, offering funding for up to three years of graduate study.

Needless to say, the admitted students possess a wide diversity of talents and interests – academic, artistic, athletic and more. “Because the applicant pool was so powerful, competition for spaces in the class was staggering. The outcome, however, was spectacular,” Nesbitt said. 123 students are highly rated musicians, studio artists, thespians or dancers. 74 students demonstrated athletic achievements. 99 showed an extraordinary commitment to community service and activism in their high schools or beyond. 51 were noted as “bridge builders,” showing a longstanding commitment to activities that span racial, ethnic, socio-economic, cultural and religious backgrounds. Finally, 265 students were noted for “intellectual vitality,” meaning that they were appreciated for the demonstrated “extraordinary academic depth and talent,” and showed signs of promise as “classroom catalysts who would have a significant impact in labs or class discussions.”

The target size for the Class of 2018 is 550 students, as it was last year. 236 applicants were admitted to the class through the early decision, making up 43 percent of the class. The remaining admitted students have until May 1 to decide whether to enroll.