Women’s golf strives to remain undefeated

After an undefeated fall season, women’s golf is setting their sights on the upcoming spring season, where they hope to best last year’s fifth-place NCAA Div. III Championships finish. Since the fall, the Ephs have earned the honor of being named third in the final Golf World/WGCA Div. III College Women’s Coaches’ Poll of the 2013 Fall Season. Head coach Erika DeSanty has yet to achieve a top four finish at the national competition, but after an incredibly strong fall, the Ephs are in prime position to break into the top four for the first time.

Returning co-captains Georgi Salant ’14 and Emily Wickstrom ’14 will lead the Ephs after very strong performances in the fall. Salant, who captured the top individual spot at last fall’s competition for the third year in a row, and Wickstrom, who has been a strong contributor to the team since her first year, will look to end their collegiate careers with a record high finish at this year’s National Championships.

Caroline Sawin ’15, Paige Whidbee ’15 and Shelby Shote ’15 round out the upperclassmen roster for the Ephs. Whidbee, who was an NCAA competitor last year and who has recently returned from studying abroad in Bath, England, adds to the already impressive depth of the team. Sawin and Shote, third place finishers at the Mt. Holyoke Invitational last fall, will hope to improve on their already outstanding fall performances.

Kelly Kung ’16, Sarah Hasselman ’17 and Tracey Kim ’17 will represent the underclassmen. Kim, who finished second individually in the last competition of the fall at Wellesley, will look to continue her already stellar freshman year and continue to contribute at a high level for the women. Similarly, Hassleman, who took top individual honors at the Middlebury Invitational in the fall, will look to battle hard and end her freshmen year on a high note.

“We are so excited for this upcoming season,” Salant said. “Training in the offseason is always tough but I think the team was really dedicated this year to working out and hitting in the nets.”

In the fall, the Ephs maintained the lowest scoring average in the history of the program and closed out their second undefeated fall season in a row. These accomplishments, coupled with the enormous amount of talent on the roster all point to a spectacular spring season and NCAA performance. The women will kick off competition this spring at the Vassar Invitational on April 12 to 13. The Williams Spring Invitational will take place on April 26 to 27 at the Taconic Golf Club.

“We definitely had a solid fall season but we didn’t even reach our full potential at times,” Salant said. “It’s inspiring to know that we are capable of vast improvements.”