Men’s crew rows steadily into Spring

Men’s crew is looking forward to a competitive spring racing season after a fall season that saw the 1V place fourth at the Head of the Charles and a subsequent long winter of indoor training.

Led by co-captains Nick Evert ’14 and Erick Quay ’14, 1V was undefeated against NESCAC competition this fall, beating its closest competitor Wesleyan at the Charles by several seconds. The 2V also had a strong showing at the Charles with a top-20 finish.

Evert is optimistic for spring racing to begin, commenting, “We’ve put some really strong work in at the gym this off-season, but nothing beats being on the water and actually racing! We can’t wait to get down to the South Carolina sun to start putting our training to the test.”

Evert refers to the team’s upcoming journey down to Myrtle Beach, S.C., this Friday for its annual training trip.

Head Coach Peter Wells ’79 believes that as the team takes strokes on the water, he will have a better idea of what kind of team he is looking at. “We never know how we are going to do because the responsibility falls on all of us to create a new team this year. A lot of it is in the hands of the student-athletes from this point forward to determine what kind of team we are going to be.”

The team will practice twice a day for 10 days on the Intercoastal Waterway before heading to Charlottesville, Va., for a scrimmage against UVA, a team the men trailed by only a few seconds at the Head of the Charles in October. The next stop on the way back to Williamstown will be in Philadelphia, Penn., where the men will race St. Joseph’s and Temple on the Schuylkill.

Although the novice boat posted a win at the Head of the Fish regatta in the fall, the spring sprint races are a different game, and first-year assistant coach Joe Gartland is excited to see how his young squad will perform. When asked about how much progress the novice men have made this winter, Gartland commented, “There is a lot of effort evident but they are still young.” All four recruited rookies will row in the novice  boat.

The team will compete in other regular season races in addition to the ones at UVA and Philadelphia. First, the men will face off against WPI, Franklin and Marshall and Connecticut College, culminating with races against Wesleyan, Ithaca and Coast Guard. Looking further, the team aims to put up fast times at the New England Rowing Championships on May 3 and ECACs on May 11, both held on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass.