Women’s lax suffers first conference loss

Women’s lacrosse (2-1, 1-1 in the NESCAC) suffered its first loss of the season to a talented squad from Trinity on Saturday. After the women captured a 7-5 lead at the end of the first half, a Trinity offensive surge led by Renee Olsen gave the Bantams the momentum they needed in order to secure a tight 13-10 victory. Last Wednesday, the women defeated Springfield 8-4.

On Saturday, tri-captain Rebecca McGovern ’14 once again opened up the scoring for the Ephs when she netted an unassisted goal less than two minutes into the contest to give the Ephs an early 1-0 lead. After an impressive save by goalie Ali Piltch ’14, midfielder Rebecca Bell ’15 added another goal to the lead off an assist from Bridget Malicki ’15. Minutes later McGovern responded to a quick Trinity goal by zipping her second goal of the game past Trinity goalie Bridget Kitchen on a free position shot. The Bantams continued to battle as they scored three unanswered goals to go up 4-3 with 15:07 left in the first half. The two teams traded the next two goals in a tough battle for the lead. Down by a goal with 9:40 left in the first half, Hillary Cook ’15 penetrated the Bantam defense to set herself up for a game-tying goal that set the score at 5-5. This provided a spark for the Ephs’ defense, which shut the Bantams out for the remainder of the half. Malicki and Nancy Palmer ’15 both netted goals off of assists from McGovern to regain a 7-5 lead and crucial momentum for the Ephs as they entered halftime.

The second half opened with a goal from Trinity’s Molly Cox to cut the Williams lead to just one. This started an offensive surge from the Bantams as they went on to score four more unanswered goals to put themselves up 10-7 with 19 minutes to go in the game. Stephanie Gallo ’14 answered by powering in a goal from the front of the net off an assist from Natalie Gill ’16 to bring the Ephs within two. The Bantams netted back-to-back goals off quick transitions within a minute of each other to extend their lead to 12-8. Despite a quick response goal by Palmer for her third goal of the game, Trinity regained a four-goal lead with 8:32 left in the game. The Ephs scored an additional goal to bring the score to 13-10, but a tough defensive stand denied a late comeback and the Bantams held the lead for the remainder of the game.

Palmer led the Ephs in scoring with three goals. Piltch totaled nine saves in the loss. Emily Gerber ’15 led the team with three groundballs.

“It’s always a great opportunity to play a team as talented as Trinity,” McGovern said. “We played a strong first half but need to work on putting together a full 60 minutes of consistent play.”

On Sunday, the women travel to New London, Conn., to take on Conn. College at noon.