Men’s tennis upends Div. I Colgate in close 4-3 decision

Men’s tennis (2-0, 1-0 in the NESCAC) opened its spring season with an impressive victory at Colgate last Saturday.

The defending NCAA Div. III champions notched a close 4-3 win over Div. I Colgate thanks to a solid all-around team effort.

The Ephs opened the day by sweeping the doubles competition, securing the first points of the match. At No. 1 doubles, co-captain Matt Micheli ’14 and Alex Schidlovsky ’16 beat Luke Gensburg and Bobby Alter 8-5. Brian Astrachan ’16 and Conrad Harron ’17 teamed up to knock off Alan Pleat and Archer McFall by a margin of 8-3 at No. 2 doubles. Finally, an 8-4 win by Jose Raventos ’16 and Rohan Shastri ’17 over Tom Haile and Nick Laub sealed the doubles sweep for Williams.

“While we swept doubles, we know that we need to continue building these new pairs heading into spring break,” co-captain Adam Reich ’14 said.

The Ephs and Raiders split the singles competition in which four of six matches went to three sets. The No. 1 and No. 2 spots, however, saw sweeps: Gensburg prevailed over Micheli 6-3, 6-2 to earn a point for Colgate and Howie Weiss ’16 defeated Pleat by an identical margin to counter for Williams. At No. 3 singles, Harron came back against Laub after losing the first set 4-6 by winning the next two 6-4, 6-4. Raventos at No. 5 singles also rebounded after a first set loss, winning his match over Alter 4-6, 6-1, 6-4. Raventos was named NESCAC men’s tennis player of the week for his efforts on Saturday. Colgate took the No. 4 and No. 6 singles matchups as McFall prevailed over Schidlovsky 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 and Jake Hirschberg defeated Shastri 3-6, 6-1, 6-2.

“We have always taken pride in our grit and scrappiness in singles,” Reich said. “Conrad [Harron] and Jose [Raventos] both embodied these ‘building blocks’ and came back to win their matches after losing their first sets.”

The young Williams team gained valuable match experience that it can apply moving forward, according to Reich.

“[P]laying in a tight match, and hostile environment, is extremely useful for the team, and especially the younger players,” he said.

The Ephs will take a two-week hiatus from competition as they prepare for their spring trip to California. Their next match will be on March 24 against Point Loma. The men will take on seven other teams over spring break as well, including conference foe Tufts on April 5.