Men’s lacrosse notches first conference victory over Trinity

Bryon Gilbert-Bono ’16 notched an important goal for the men in their 9-8 victory over Trinity.

Men’s lacrosse (2-1, 1-1 in the NESCAC), despite a disappointing loss against Bowdoin to start the season, came back last week with passion and momentum to defeat both Skidmore and Trinity. The men downed Trinity 9-8 last Saturday after a 9-5 win over Skidmore last Wednesday.

On Saturday, the men traveled to Hartford, Conn., to take on Trinity in their second NESCAC game of the season. In a very close game, the Ephs pulled out a 9-8 win, largely due to the contributions of Jack Lauroesch ’16.

The game started out with a showcase of strong, competitive lacrosse. After several minutes of trading possession and each team’s defense stalemating the opposing offense, Trinity’s Michael Lofrese squeaked a goal past Dan Whittam ’15. Lofrese’s goal inspired the Ephs to respond, and Peter Sullivan ’14 ripped a shot behind the Trinity goalie to tie the score 1-1. The next six minutes of the first quarter saw three more goals: two at the hands of Lauroesch and one at the hands of Bantam Terence Owen. The quarter ended with the Ephs up 3-2.

The second quarter was a medley of forced turnovers, blocked shots, missed shots and quick play. Trinity netted the only goal of the second quarter to tie the score at 3-3 before halftime.

Williams came out in the second half feeding off of the skillful hands of tri-captain David Lee ’14, who consistently won faceoffs that sent the ball up the field to his teammates. Joe Kinney ’15 fired a shot into the goal with 10:18 left on the clock to bring the score to 4-3. Trinity followed with a three-goal scoring spree before Williams answered with one goal of its own. The third quarter ended in Trinity’s favor, 7-6.

The fourth and final quarter of the game began with a Williams penalty that carried over from the third quarter, giving Trinity a man-up advantage. The Bantams capitalized on this, taking an 8-6 lead, but the Ephs soon took control of the game and refused to let the Bantams take it back. Lauroesch scored his fourth and fifth goals of the game before Conor Roddy ’16 scored in the last eight minutes of the quarter. With a 9-8 score, the Ephs fought off the Bantams for the rest of the game. Head Coach George McCormack noted that his team “had a strong fourth quarter” and praised the efforts of Lee, Sullivan, Lauroesch, tri-captain Stephen Upton ’14 and Riley Hoffman ’17.

Last Wednesday, the men traveled to Saratoga, N.Y. to face Skidmore, with both teams seeking their first victories of the season. Skidmore came out raring to go, taking the first possession of the ball and soon scoring the first goal of the game. However, Williams responded halfway through the first quarter when Eric Kelley ’15 passed the ball to Kinney who found the back of the net to even the score 1-1.

From here, the men fed off their own momentum, winning faceoffs and using solid defense to keep Skidmore out of the attacking zone. Thomas Fowler ’17 then took control of the ball for Williams and scored the next goal, bringing the score to 2-1. The teams continued to battle out the rest of the first quarter before Skidmore’s Quinn Hawkins netted a goal in the last minute of the quarter to tie the game.

The second quarter, just like the first, showcased two competitive teams constantly fighting to maintain possession of the ball.  Skidmore found the back of the net first in the second period before Kinney again responded with his second goal of the game. Unfortunately, Skidmore’s Kevin Mulvey countered once again with a goal. The Ephs went into the locker room at halftime down 5-3.

Coming out of the break recharged and rejuvenated, Bryson Gilbert-Bono ’16 fired a shot past the Skidmore goalie with 5:07 left in the third quarter. He was quickly followed by an equally successful effort from teammate Steven Kiesel ’15. For the rest of the game, Williams dictated the pace and control of the game as they shut Skidmore out in the fourth quarter. Roddy netted two impressive back-to-back goals to bring the score from a 5-5 tie to a 7-5 lead for the men. Tanner MacIvor ’16 also found the back of the net before Fowler scored the ninth and final goal for the Ephs. With six individual scorers on Wednesday to make up the nine goals, Williams proudly demonstrated the depth of its team and took home a 9-5 victory.

The Ephs outshot the Thoroughbreds 34-17 and proved roughly equal in faceoffs, ground balls and clears. McCormack praised several of his players, notably Sullivan, saying, “He did an excellent job at long-stick midfield, especially on ground balls.” McCormack also credited the team’s success to its strong man-down defense and good ball possession.

The men took on Castleton yesterday but results came in too late to report. On Saturday, the men will face off against Conn. College at Keene State.