Women’s track and field earns eighth title at Tufts

Women’s track and field had an incredible showing at the Div. III New England Championships hosted by Springfield last Saturday, winning the meet with 150 points. Williams bested 28 other teams, with MIT in second and Tufts in third, and clinched its eighth Div. III New England Championship in the past 11 years.

The women dominated the field events, with co-captain Amina Avril ’14 taking first in the weight throw with a toss of 18.12 meters. Avril also placed second in the shot put with a season-best throw of 13.15 meters. In the pole vault, co-captain Jenna Adams ’14 took first place, clearing an impressive height of 3.75 meters. Candice Dyce ’17 and Chloe Rogers ’17 both had very strong performances in the long jump, finishing fourth and fifth with jumps of 5.27 and 5.20 meters, respectively. Dyce went on to take first in the triple jump with a distance of 11.54 meters, and Rogers finished in fourth place with a jump of 11.04 meters.

On the track, the distance group had several victories and many strong performances. In the 5000 meter, Kaleigh Kenny ’14 and Shayna Barbash ’14 pulled away from the competition to finish one-two, with Kenny finishing in a time of 17:43.00 and Barbash in 17:50.45. Co-captain Brianne Mirecki ’14 just missed finishing first in the mile but ran an impressive time of 5:02.08 to take second place. Mirecki earned another second-place finish in the 1000 meter, finishing with a time of 3:01.07, followed by first-place and fifth-place finishes in the 3000 meter by Lacey Serletti ’16 and Alison Smith ’15 with times of 10:10.09 and 10:20.04, respectively.

The women competed extremely well in the sprints as well. Grace Weatherall ’16 improved her time in the 60 meter hurdle to finish seventh in a time of 9.27 seconds. In the 400 meter, co-captain Amanda Murashige ’14 ran a time of 59.24 seconds, finishing third, and Dianna Mejia ’15 was eighth in 59.27. Co-captain Annie Lynch ’14 took fourth in the 200 meter with a time of 26.11 seconds.

The relays were some of the most impressive performances of the meet. The team of Serletti, Maggie Peard ’17, Laura Lee ’17 and Kathryn McNaughton ’16 emerged victorious in the distance medley relay with a time of 12.13.79. The Ephs won both the 4×200 meter relay and the 4×400 meter relay as well. In the 4×200, the team of Lynch, Kelsey Adamson ’16, Alyza Ngbokoli ’17 and Jessica O’Brien ’16 dominated the competition with a time of 1:45.30, and the 4×400 team of Mejia, Murashige, Lynch and O’Brien finished with a time of 3:58.57, four seconds ahead of their competition. The final event of the meet was the 4×800 meter relay, and the team of Kenny, Mirecki, Ellie Pitmon ’16 and Kendall Leet-Otley ’17 ran a time of 9:37.45 to finish third.

“It was an outstanding full team performance; every event across the board did an excellent job,” Head Coach Nate Hoey said. “They focused on the fundaments, executed well and competed with heart, and they did it while enjoying the moment and having fun.”

The women will travel to the All New Englands, where they

will compete against Div. I competition, at Boston University on Feb. 28.