Women’s lacrosse seniors look to lead young squad this spring

The upcoming 2014 season will be Head Coach Chris Mason’s 30th season in charge of women’s lacrosse, and the expectations are high. The Ephs finished last year with a winning record of 8-7 but are looking to improve on their 3-7 conference record that left them tied for eighth place in the NESCAC.

The team lost six talented players to graduation, including attacker Sam Weinstein ’13 and midfielder Emily Whicker ’13, both of whom were selections for the 2013 Second Team All-Region last year. However, the gaps left by the Class of 2013 will be filled by a strong senior class, guided by 2013 Second Team All-NESCAC midfielder tri-captain Rebecca McGovern ’14, who led the team with 21 goals last year and 33 total points. The rest of the talented senior class is comprised of attacker Stephanie Gallo ’14, who scored 18 goals last year; Maggie MacCallum ’14, who contributed three goals and two assists in the 2013 campaign; and defensive players tri-captain Lacey Hankin ’14, Grace Wilson ’14 and Courtney McLaughlin ’14. Tri-captain Ali Piltch ’14 will serve as the team’s sole goalie this year and is expected to be the anchor of the Ephs’ defense. Pitch played over 800 minutes last year and totaled an impressive 104 saves.

The junior class will look to have a significant impact on this year’s team as well. Coming off a tremendous season in which she scored 17 goals and provided 16 assists is attacker Bridget Malicki ’15, who is expected to be one of the main contributors to the Ephs’ offense this year. Mahaney Sippel ’15 and Maeve Mulholland ’15 will also be contributing to the attack. Becca Bell ’15, Alyssa Amos ’15, Emily Gerber ’15 and Hillary Cook ’15 will be representing the midfield for this year’s squad, with Nancy Palmer ’15 playing strong defense.

Returning sophomores include Natalie Gill ’16, who scored seven goals in the 2013 season and will be playing midfield this year. In addition to Gill, Molly Belk ’16 and Micaela Dussel ’16 will be essential to the Ephs’ midfield. As for the attack, Alyssa Maddalone ’16 and Haley Mahar ’16 will look to contribute to the offensive game plan.

Adding to this year’s roster is a talented group of first-years: Mairead Toms ’17, Brett Bidstrup ’17, Jenna Chodos ’17 and Jocelyn Wexler ’17. Toms and Chodos will play in the midfield, Bidstrup will look to bolster the attack and Wexler will help solidify the defense.

“We’re all just so excited to see our hard work pay off in our upcoming games,” McGovern said.

Williams will begin its campaign for a NESCAC title against Bowdoin on Saturday at noon. Although the game is technically a home game, it will be played at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst due to the renovations to Weston Field. The women also travel to play Castleton on Sunday at 1 p.m.