Women’s hockey splits home series

Photo courtesy of Sports Information Co-captain Gabby Vukasin ’14 had a key power play goal in a 5-2 win over Conn. College on Friday.
Photo courtesy of Sports Information
Co-captain Gabby Vukasin ’14 had a key power play goal in a 5-2 win over Conn. College on Friday.

Last weekend, women’s hockey (12-9-4, 9-4-3 in the NESCAC) split its two home games against Conn. College. Both were high-scoring affairs, with the Camels topping the Ephs 5-1 on Saturday, and the Ephs winning 5-2 on Friday.

On Saturday, Conn. College bounced back from its loss on Friday with a decisive 5-1 win over Williams. The Camels got an early jump on the Ephs, scoring their first goal just three minutes after the drop of the puck. They soon followed with a second goal midway through the period to extend their lead to 2-0. The Ephs failed to slip the puck past Camel goalie Kelsie Fralick despite several power-play opportunities, and the first period ended with the Camels in the lead 2-0.

Conn. College came out even more energized for the start of the second period, scoring a short-handed goal four minutes into the period. The Camels scored their fourth goal just a minute later on a power play. They continued their offensive charge, scoring their fifth and final goal with five minutes remaining in the period. Once again, the Ephs could not find the back of the net, as the period ended with the Camels holding a decisive 5-0 lead.

The women returned in the third period determined to get on the scoreboard. Just 35 seconds after the drop of the puck, defenseman Hanna Beattie ’17 fired a shot from the point, giving the Ephs their first and only goal of the game. The women fought to come back from a four-goal deficit for the rest of the third period but failed, as the Camels defeated the Ephs 5-1.

Friday’s game saw a dramatically different matchup. The Ephs dominated the game, outshooting the Camels 33 to 17. Neither team scored during the first period, but the women got an early start in the second period. Just two minutes in, forward Perry McCarthy ’15 caught the rebound off a shot by Andree Heller ’15 and drove the puck past Fralick for the first goal of the game. Conn. College tied the game six minutes later, but Williams secured its lead before the end of the period with another goal seconds before the sound of the buzzer. Beattie took a deadly shot from the point which flew into the net, beating both Fralick and the clock. The period ended with Williams up 2-1.

Both teams turned up the offensive in the third period. The Camels took advantage of an early power play to score a second goal just two minutes into the third period. Williams quickly took the lead again three minutes later with a goal from co-captain Gabby Vukasin ’14, assisted by fellow co-captain Cristina Bravi ’14. Forward Michaela Levine ’16 extended the Ephs’ lead with a goal of her own ten minutes into the third period, with help from line mates Bravi and Emily Krueger ’17, putting the Ephs up 4-2. Conn. College pulled their goalie in the remaining minutes of the game in hopes of catching up, but Beattie took advantage of the empty net to score a fifth and final goal for the women. The final score was 5-2 in favor of the Ephs.

“We learned Saturday that we need to be able to come together after going down by a few goals.” Bravi said.

Next up, the women face Trinity on Saturday at 1 p.m. in Lansing Chapman Arena in the first round of the NESCAC playoffs.