Skiing finishes 6th at Middlebury

Last weekend, skiing competed in the final carnival of the EISA circuit in Middlebury, Vt. The carnival served as the EISA Championship and an NCAA Regional Championship. Williams took sixth at the carnival with 538 points, while UVM took first place with 1031 points.

The men’s nordic race on Friday was a 10k classic. The men were led by Will Wicherski ’15, who reached an impressive eighth-place finish with a time of 28:51. Wicherski was followed by teammate Kalle Jahn ’14, who, in 19th, cracked the top 20 with a time of 29:40.1. Isaac Hoenig ’14, who came in 23rd with a time of 30:01.9, rounded out the scoring for the Ephs. The Ephs then continued to display their depth, with Eli Hoenig ’17, Vanya Rybkin ’15 and Jordan Fields ’17 coming in 27th, 29th and 30th, respectively. Men’s nordic finished Friday in fifth place with 81 points.

Women’s nordic also raced in classic style around the Rikert Nordic Center. Hannah Cole ’17 and Hannah Benson ’17, with times separated by only half a second, again led the Ephs. Cole blazed around the 5k course in 18:13.4 and Benson was right behindwith her with a time of 18:13.8. Elena Luethi ’15, who came in 25th with a time of 18:34.0, rounded out the scoring for the women. Women’s nordic finished the day in seventh place.

For men’s alpine, Christoph Lentz ’15 had the fifth fastest time in the slalom, spurring himself into 13th place with a combined time of 1:38.38. Carson Houle ’15 was the second highest finisher for the Ephs, coming in 27th place with a time of 1:39.50. Nicholas Pasteris ’16 finished in 33rd with a time of 1:41.72 and Dylan Thomas ’15 placed in 35th with a time of 1:41.91. On the day, men’s alpine finished in seventh place with 60 points from the slalom race.

Friday showcased an atypical showing for women’s alpine. Shannon Campbell ’14, who has become a mainstay in the top 10 for the Ephs all season, did not finish her first run, leaving her out of contention for placing. Sarah Cottrill ’15 finished in 29th for the Ephs, while Jocelyn Volk ’16 finished in 42nd. Paige Chardavoyne ’17 and Merritt Harlan ’16 rounded out the finishers for the Ephs, finishing in 56th and 62nd, respectively. Women’s alpine finished the day in seventh place with 60 points.

On Saturday, Wicherski hung right behind the leaders in the 20k mass start freestyle race, working his way up to a strong position by the 15k mark. Wicherski held strong over the next 5k before taking a sprint to the finish, coming in fifth place with a time of 44:11.7. Next up for the Ephs was Eli Hoenig, coming in 12th with a time of 45:02.6. Eli Hoenig had a strong race, keeping up with the pack, and he was only two seconds out of ninth.

The Ephs put six skiers in the top 25 on Saturday. Isaac Hoenig, Rybkin and Jahn went three in a row, coming in 19th, 20th and 21st, respectively. Fields came in 24th for Williams, and overall men’s nordic had an outstanding race, coming in third as a team.

Women’s nordic finished off the carnival season in a similarly grueling style, taking on a three-lap, 15k skate mass start. Cole was the top finisher for Williams, coming in ninth with a time of 40:52.5. Just outside the top 20 was Benson, who placed 21st with a time of 42:04.2. Luethi again rounded out the scoring with her time of 43:17.6, which was good enough to put her in 32nd. Women’s nordic finished the day in sixth place.

Men’s alpine competed in the giant slalom (GS) on Saturday, placing six skiers in the top 50 spots. Victor Major ’15 led the pack for the Ephs, finishing in 16th place after a stellar second run. Lentz finished in 32nd with a combined time of 1:58.90, followed by Thomas in 39th with a time of 2:00.07. Houle, Pasteris and Matthew Davies ’17 all cracked the top 50. Men’s alpine finished the day in ninth place.

After an uncharacteristic day on Friday, Campbell returned to her natural form in the GS, finishing in fifth with a time 2:00.44. Cottrill, following a strong performance on Friday, continued the strong performances for the Ephs, finishing in 14th place. Gabrielle Markel ’17 rounded out the scoring for the women, finishing in 33rd place. Women’s alpine finished in fifth place for the race.

Overall, Williams finished in sixth. Cole, Campbell, Wicherski and Eli Hoenig were selected to compete in the NCAA Men’s and Women’s Skiing Championships from March 5 to 8.

“It was a really solid way to end the regular season,” Campbell said. “Everybody should have a lot of confidence heading into next year.”