Women’s track dashes to qualify for Div. IIIs

Last Saturday, a fraction of the women’s track and field team competed in Boston, one group at the Tufts Cupid Challenge and another at Boston University’s Scarlet and White Invitational. The women went in with hopes of hitting qualifying marks for the upcoming Div. III New England Championship and many succeeded. In total, 11 of the Ephs earned personal records or had season best performances.

At the Scarlet and White Invitational, Both Kelsey Adamson ’16 and co-captain Annie Lynch ’14 set personal records in the 200 meter with times of 26.22 and 25.68, respectively. All four Ephs competing in the 400 meter ran personal record times as well, with co-captain Amanda Murashige ’14 finishing in 58.11 seconds, Jessica O’Brien ’16 finishing in 59.22, Alyza Ngbokoli ’17 running a time of 59.72 and Laura Lee ’17 hitting 61.16 seconds.

In the long distance races, Kaleigh Kenny ’14 ran an outstanding mile that ranked her third in the event for all Div. III runners. She ran a time of 4:55.37, finishing the last 200 meters of the race in a speedy 34 seconds. At Tufts, Nina Pande ’17 also earned a personal record in the mile, finishing in 5:33.61.

In the field events at the Cupid Challenge, Alejandra Moran-Olivas ’17 threw personal bests in both the weight throw and shot put, with distances of 11.08 meters and 9.08 meters, respectively. Also competing in the weight throw, Bethany Berry ’16 threw 12.84 meters. Schuyler Melore ’17 competed in the weight throw as well with a succesful personal record toss of 7.38 meters. At Boston University, Grace Weatherall ’16 also had her best performance of the season in the long jump with a distance of 4.91 meters. Elena Zifkin ’16 went 9.9 meters in the triple jump. “It was great to see so many people run personal records last weekend,” Murashige said. “Spirits are high and I think we are more than ready for the Div. III New England Championships this weekend!”

Many other Ephs have already qualified for championship season. On Friday and Saturday, the Ephs will enter the postseason at the Div. III New England Championship at Springfield.