Skiing impresses with 6th-place performance at Dartmouth

Photo courtesy of Sports Information Christoph Lenz ’15 notched back-to-back top-20 finishes at the Dartmouth Carnival on Saturday.
Photo courtesy of Sports Information
Christoph Lenz ’15 notched back-to-back top-20 finishes at the Dartmouth Carnival on Saturday.

Last weekend, the ski team put up an impressive show at the Dartmouth Carnival in Hanover, N.H, and Williams also powered through the UVM Carnival in Stowe, Vt., on Feb. 1 to 2.

On Friday at the Dartmouth Carnival, co-captain Shannon Campbell ’14 continued her success on the alpine course, finishing in sixth place in a time of 2:07.99. Her first run time placed her in ninth, but her second run time of 1:04.15 vaulted her into sixth. Sarah Cottrill ’15 finished with a time of 2:12.33 for 29th place.

Victor Major ’15 and Christoph Lentz ’15 led the men’s alpine team on Friday. Lentz finished his race with a time of 2:06.16 to place 20th. Major finished behind Lentz in 21st with a combined time of 2:06.31. Matt Davies ’17 finished in 34th with a time of 2:09.50, rounding out the male scorers for the Ephs.

Racing out of Craftsbury Nordic Center in Vt., the nordic men came out of Friday’s 10k freestyle in third place. The Ephs placed five skiers in the top twenty, with Eli Hoenig ’17 leading the charge in 12th place with a time of 27:13.9. Right behind him was Will Wicherski ’15, 13th in 27:15.4. Jordan Fields ’17 came in 15th in 27:23.0 to round out the scoring. Vanya Rybkin ’15 and co-captain Isaac Hoenig ’14 also finished in the top 20, in 17th and 19th, respectively.

In the 5k freestyle, the women were led by Hannah Benson ’17. Benson came in 20th place with a time of 16:00.8.

On Saturday, Campbell started just where she had left off the day before, with another top ten finish. She finished her slalom race with a combined time of 1:47.41, placing sixth. Cottrill finished in the top 20, finishing in 19th place with a time of 1:49.39.

For the men, Lentz once again had a strong performance. He finished in 20th place with a time of 1:45.51. Major was the only other Eph male to finish the slalom course, finishing in 49th place with a time of 1:59.38.

Saturday was a day for striding for the nordic team. Fields’ time of 58:26.3 landed him in 10th, his best finish of the season. Eli Hoenig followed Fields in 12th, and Isaac Hoenig rounded out the scoring for the Ephs to come in 18th with a time of 59:23.8.

Hannah Cole ’17 led the women on Saturday, finishing the 15k in 10th in 51:42.0. Together, nordic and alpine finished sixth overall.

At the UVM Carnival, Campbell led the alpine team with an eighth-place finish, and the men placed three skiers in the top 25 for the first time all season. Campbell finished in sixth with a combined time of 1:39.69. Gabrielle Markel ’17 finished in 37th for the Ephs, with a combined time of 1:51.57, while Merritt Harlan ’16 finished with a total time of 1:55.11 to put her in 42nd place.

On the men’s side, Lentz led the Ephs, finishing just a tenth of a second outside of the top 20. Carson Houle ’15 had a spectacular second run of 45.56 seconds that gave him a combined time of 1:38.03, which placed him in 24th. Davies finished with a time of 1:38.48, good for 25th.

The nordic team had a strong showing in the heats, led by Eli Hoenig and co-captain Kalle Jahn ’14, as they finished 13th and 14th, with times of 3:14.7 and 3:15.3, respectively. Rybkin and Isaac Hoenig came in 16th and 22nd respectively, mere seconds away from Hoenig and Jahn. The fastest Eph in the sprint was Hans Halvorsen ’17 who rounded the course in 3:13.9, but did not contribute to the team score. Coming out of the heats, Jahn claimed the highest spot for the Ephs, taking 10th overall and 5th place amongst the collegiate athletes. The men’s team finished in 3rd place, their highest finish so far this season.

On the same course, Cole and Benson again led the women’s team. Cole blazed around the 1.4k in 3:58.5, good for a 12th place finish. Hot on her heels was Benson, who finished a second behind Cole in 17th.

In the freestyle race on Feb. 2, Wicherski led the charge, coming in fourth among the collegiate skiers with a time of 26:11.7. Eli Hoenig was also in the top 10 with a time of 26:25, followed by Isaac Hoenig, who finished 17th in 27:09. The men finished the race in second place to UNH, an undeniable season best.

The women skied the 5k and Cole took sixth in 15:06, her best time yet. When the nordic and alpine results were combined, Williams found themselves overall in sixth place.

The Ephs get ready to host their own carnival this upcoming weekend at Prospect Mountain for the nordic races and Jiminy Peak for the alpine.

“We only get a home carnival once every two years, so it means a lot to us when people make the trek out to Jiminy to support us and we come through the finish line to lots of cheering,” Campbell said.