Men’s track sprints to qualifying times

Co-captain Jared Nowell placed sixth in the 60 meter at MIT.

Last weekend, men’s track and field split its talents between two different meets, the renowned Valentine Invitational hosted by Boston University and the Gordon Kelly Invitational hosted by MIT. The men also ran at the Springfield Invitation on Feb. 1, taking third place behind Worcester State in first. On Jan. 25, the men ran at the Joe Donahue Games, posting several personal bests.

At Boston University last Saturday, racing early in the day, co-captain Andrew Beaudoin ’15 set a season best in the 800 meter with a time of 1:56.10 to qualify for the Div. III New England’s and ECAC championship meets coming up later this month.

The 1000 meter saw co-captain Nick Wolf ’14 run a 2:29.60 for the ninth fastest time ever run by an Eph, while  Kyle Kristinger ’16 and Matthew Tarduno ’16 both achieved personal records, with times of 2:31.28 and 2:33.62, respectively.

In the mile, Todd Ford ’16 proved to be the highlight of the day for the Ephs; his time of 4:09.80 was not only a personal best for him but a new school record, beating the previous record by a mere .02 seconds. David Folsom ’17 also had an impressive mile time, finishing in 4:16.50. In the 5k, Bijan Mazaheri ’16 was first for the team and 29th overall with a time of 14:41.42.

At MIT on Saturday, despite missing a number of runners due to illness and injury, the men still did well. Kieran Scannel ’17 was the first Williams runner of the day in the 3000 meter, with a second-place finish of 8:53.56. Peter Drews ’14 was close behind with a time of 8:56.45.

In the 60 meter, Katakyie Ofori-Atta ’16 won with a time of 7.02, and co-captain Jared Nowell ’15 placed sixth with a time of 7.29. Both runners also competed in the 200 meter, with Ofori-Atta finishing in 23.38 for fourth and Nowell placing sixth in 23.65.

For the mid-distance events, Eric Schneider ’15 won the 600 meter with a time of 1:24.03. In the 1000 meter, Steven Yannacone ’17 bested the competition with a first-place finish of 2:36.17. Matthew Marcarelli ’17 threw the farthest for the Ephs in the shot put, with a toss of 11.93 meters. In the weight throw, John Dillon ’17 placed thirteenth overall with a throw of 12.40 meters to round out the field events for the men.

The men also posted impressive times at the Springfield Invitational on Feb. 1, taking home a third-place finish.

Reid Pryzant ’16 placed fifth in the finals for the 60 meter hurdles with a time of 9.07. Kevin Persons ’16 placed third overall in the 200 meter in 23.37. Both Youle Chen ’17 and Ian Outhwaite ’17 cleared heights of 6 feet in the high jump, and Richie Beaton ’15 soared for ninth place in the long jump with a mark of 20 feet nine inches.

In the 1000 meter, men donning purple and gold dominated the event. “A highlight of the meet on the mid-distance side was a sweep of the top three places in the 1000 [meter], with all six of our entrants scoring, to pile up an incredible 32 points in one event,” Assistant Coach Pete Farwell ’73 said. Those top three men were Ford in 2:32.70, Beaudoin in 2:33.05 and Folsom in 2:33.36.

At Northeastern for the Joe Donahue Games on Jan. 25, the men posted many personal bests, including the 8:48 3k time of Peter Hale ’17.

The men will compete in the Cupid Challenge at Tufts this Saturday before gearing up for the Div. III New England Championships on Feb. 21 to 22.