Hallett receives Churchill Scholarship to study at Cambridge

Jared Hallet will be attending the University of Cambridge next fall for a Masters in Mathematics. (Photo credit Office of Communications)

On Jan. 24, the College announced that Jared Hallett ’14 was awarded a Churchill Scholarship. As a Churchill Scholar, Hallett will pursue a Master of Advanced Study degree in pure mathematics, focusing on deepening his understanding of analysis at the University of Cambridge for the 2014-15 academic year.

Each year, 14 graduates from more than 100 participating universities and colleges are awarded the prestigious scholarship, which funds one year of independent research and study at the University of Cambridge in engineering, mathematics or one of the  sciences.

The Winston Churchill Foundation of the United States was founded in 1959 by American colleagues of Churchill “who wanted to fulfill his wish of always having young American graduate students at Churchill College at the University of Cambridge,” according to the organization’s website.

The Churchill Foundation began to award scholarships in 1963. Since then, more than 450 graduates have been named Churchill Scholars. “I am deeply indebted to the mathematics department, Fellowships Office and friends and family for their mentorship, guidance and support,” Hallett said.

Hallett, who hails from Sterling, Va., is the second Churchill Scholar in the history of the College. The first scholar, Emily Balskus ’02, earned the accolade for her work in chemistry.

“We hadn’t had a Churchill winner in a very long time,” said Katerina King, director of fellowships. “I can’t imagine a better representative of [the College] at Cambridge than Jared!”

The scholarship covers all university and college fees as well as providing a living allowance, airfare allowance, visa costs and a travel award to allow recipients to explore the United Kingdom.

Hallett is double majoring in mathematics and Chinese at the College. Hallett works as a teaching assistant in both the mathematics and Chinese departments.

In addition to the Churchill Scholarship, Hallett has been recognized for his work with other prestigious awards, including the Goldwater Scholarship in 2013, the Witte Problem Solving Prize in 2012 and 2013, the Class of 1956 Scholarship in 2013, the Wilmers Language Fellowship in 2013 and the Wilmers Travel Fellowship in 2012. Hallett is also a member of Phi Beta Kappa.

Hallett has spent his summers engaging in rigorous intellectual work both at the College and elsewhere. He has participated in the SMALL Undergraduate Research Program at the College and the National Science Foundation’s Research Experience for Undergraduates program at the University of Michigan.

In recent years, Hallett has presented a number of papers at math conferences around the country. In Jan. 2013, Hallett and his collaborators spoke about a preliminary report titled “Polynomial Equations with Infinitely Many Solutions over an Algebraic Number Field” at the American Mathematical Society’s Joint Mathematics Meeting in San Diego.

“What I find exceptional about Jared, in addition to his prodigious intellectual capacity, is his independence of mind and spirit,” King said. “This is someone who forges his own way to success, but always with humility and respect toward others.”