Goodrich Coffee Bar opens for evening hours

Goodrich Coffee Bar is expanding its hours and will now be open from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. (Photo credit Emory Strawn, Contributing Photographer)

Starting this semester, the student-run Goodrich Coffee Bar will expand its hours of operation to include evening availability. While it was previously only open from 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Goodrich will now also be open Sunday through Thursday from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m.

“The exact conversation that led to the new hours was with a security guard who was complaining about not being able to get a cup of coffee at night,” Cole Leiter ’14, personnel manager at Goodrich Coffee Bar, said. With the addition of evening hours, the community will now be able to get coffee and food at night. “Goodrich is the only coffee bar in the area open after 6 p.m.,” said Ben Lamb, assistant director for student involvement. “We have to market ourselves as a place for evening coffee.”

The major difference between Goodrich in the morning and Goodrich at night is that at night, students will have to pay with cash, credit or Eph points. The inability to use meal swipes for evening Goodrich might deter some students, but the College does not want Goodrich Coffee Bar, as a student-run business, to compete with the late-night options that Dining Services provides. The student managers, however, have a plan to help offset this potential inconvenience. “We are offering a deal where you can pay $50 at the beginning of the month to get all the coffee you can drink at night,” said Will Edwards ’14, finance manager of Goodrich.

The evening service hours at Goodrich represent the culmination of many changes at the student-staffed venue this year. Goodrich added many new products and services to the coffee bar during first semester, including iced coffee, Nutella, t-shirts, stickers, posters and freshly baked goods. “We’re really trying to build a Goodrich Coffee Bar brand,” said Maddie Gilmore ’15, supplies manager at Goodrich Coffee Bar.

In keeping with this goal, the managers want to give back to the College community that has enabled the coffee bar to be successful over the past few years. Goodrich is a unique fixture in the College as an entirely student-run, student-supported business. It receives no money from the College, instead relying entirely on the business it receives from students. “Goodrich has to be self-sustaining, and everybody wants these evening hours to be successful,” Lamb said. Over the course of an average day, Goodrich serves around 500 students. “Goodrich really has its own community that only happens at breakfast,” Gilmore said. “Adding night hours will just add an additional community, one more focused on studying.”

In addition to expanding its hours of operation, the Goodrich managers also have other ideas for what they want to do with the business in the future, including the possibility of hosting concerts in Goodrich. While the details are far from final, managers are considering outreach to groups like All Campus Entertainment and the All Acoustic Alliance, or collaboration with individual student artists and student bands in order to provide a regular schedule of shows.

Additionally, Lamb hopes the addition of evening hours will attract faculty and staff. “Faculty and staff can use the space to meet with students,” Lamb said. Lamb hopes that Goodrich will become a place for the entire College community to enjoy an evening coffee.

The leadership of Goodrich Coffee Bar is also contemplating staffing a mini coffee bar in the new Sawyer-Stetson Library, if the College will consider it. The managers of the Coffee Bar approached the College about a potential mini coffee bar, but administrators have already decided to include a self-serve coffee machine in the library. “We understand that the decision had been made a long time ago, but we would be more than willing to staff a coffee bar in the new library,” Leiter said. Though a student-managed library coffee bar will likely not be a fixture in Stetson-Sawyer when it opens, the addition of evening hours will already expand the reach of Goodrich Coffee Bar.