Women’s track and field optimistic after strong start to season

Women’s track and field traveled to Dartmouth on Jan. 12 to compete in the Dartmouth Relays, the team’s first meet since winter break. Before break, the women opened their season at the Smith Invitational on Dec. 7.

At Dartmouth, the women finished fourth out of 14 teams and broke both personal and school records. One of those new school records was set by co-captain Jenna Adams ’14, who cleared a height of 12’04.00” in the pole vault, taking first place. Co-captain Amina Avril ’14 also had an outstanding performance in the weight throw, taking second with a throw of 59’04.00’, coming close to her personal record from last year’s season. Another strong performance came from Anna Spiers ’15, who finished ninth in her first-ever 3000 meter race with a time of 10.31.35.

In the 4×800 meter relay, the team of Lacey Serletti ’16, Alison Smith ’15, Emma Zehner ’17 and Kendall Leet-Otley ’17, finished third with a time of 9:52.97. The 4×200 meter team of co-captain Annie Lynch ’14, co-captain Amanda Murashige ’14, Dianna Mejia ’15 and Jess O’Brian ’16 placed fifth with a time of 1:46.46, and the 4×400 meter team of O’Brien, Murashige, Mejia and Alyza Ngbokoli ’17 placed fourth with a time of 4:01.01.

In their earlier meet at Smith, the team competed well, with standout performances from Avril in the weight throw, Adams in the pole vault and Candice Dyce ’17 in the triple jump. On the track, there were several first-place finishes as well, including Lynch in the 200 meters, Grace Weatherall ’16 in the 60 meter hurdles, O’Brien in the 400 meters, Kaleigh Kenny ’14 in the 5000 meters and co-captain Brianne Mirecki ’14 in the 3000 meters.

“The women’s track and field team has a talented mix of returning stars and accomplished first years,” Assistant Coach Pete Farwell ’73 said.

This Friday, the Ephs will travel to  Boston to compete in their next meet, the Joe Donahue Games.