Women’s swimming dominates, wins Little 3

Last Saturday, women’s swim defeated both Wesleyan and Conn. College at Wesleyan, continuing their 6-0 winning streak thus far in the season. The women dominated, beating Wesleyan with a final score of 216-83, and conquering Conn by a margin of 202-96.

The meet began with a suspenseful 200 medley relay win by the relay team of Lauren Jones ’17, Breanna Nguyen ’16, Sarah Thompson ’15 and Faye Sultan ’16. The 1650 freestyle showed Williams’ distance strength, with Megan Pierce ’17 capturing first, followed by Olivia Clark ’17 and Erica Bucki ’15, finishing in fifth and sixth, respectively. The Ephs increased their lead with the 200 freestyle event, with Breanna Nguyen taking first with a time of 1:56.73, followed by Olivia Jackson ’17 in third and Katie Bennett ’16 in fourth. The Ephs swept the 100 backstroke, with Jones touching first, followed closely by Sultan and Angie Sun ’16.

Divers McKenzie Murdoch ’14, Michelle Higgins ’15 and Ariana Ross ’17 took first, second and third in the one-meter diving event, unfazed by their competition from Wesleyan and Conn. College.

Williams’ sprinters continued to rule the pool in the 100 freestyle, with Sultan finishing first in 52.78. The 200 backstroke was another strong event for the women: Jones took second, followed closely by co-captain Stephanie Nguyen ’14 and Erica Myers ’17, who took fifth in the event. Classmates Pierce and Clark captured second and third in the 200 breaststroke, and Paige Haller ’16 took seventh, adding to the Williams lead. The team’s mid-distance freestylers dominated the 500 freestyle, with Bennett and Breanna Nguyen touching first and second, respectively, and Tess Vorselen ’15 finishing sixth. Pierce continued her meet with a first-place finish in the 100 butterfly with a time of 59.24, followed by Maddy Holker ’16 in seventh and Taylor Patterson ’17 in eleventh. The final individual event of the meet, the 200 individual medley was a strong one for the Ephs, with Thompson taking first in 2:09.89. Jackson came in second and Aly Levine ’14 finished in fifth. The Williams women took first, third and fifth in the 400 freestyle relay to finish the meet in strong fashion.

“Most every event had solid swims,” said Head Coach Steve Kuster, even while his team is in the midst of some tough Winter Study training.

On Jan. 11, Williams routed Amherst by a margin of 189-104 for a seventh consecutive dual meet win against its rival. The Ephs were certainly motivated to defeat the Jeffs after a difficult loss at NESCACs last February, and the team definitively showed their strength and depth in all events. They look forward to facing the Amherst team again both at NESCACs and NCAAs in the coming months.

Just after Thanksgiving, the women took down Div. I opponent Boston College with a final score of 208-92, demonstrating their tenacity and hard work this season.

The team will host MIT on Friday at 6 p.m and Middlebury on Saturday at 1 p.m as they look to continue their impressive winning streak.