Women’s ice hockey ties, wins against the Continentals

Women’s ice hockey (6-6-1, 4-1-1 in the NESCAC) entered the new year in full force, getting off to a great start with a 4-3 conference win at Hamilton on Saturday. On Friday, in another game against the Continentals, the Ephs battled to a 4-4 tie. The women lost 4-1 to Plattsburgh State on Jan. 14 but overcame Trinity on Jan. 11 for a 5-3 victory. The Ephs also topped the Bantams the day before, winning 2-0.

Against the Continentals on Saturday, the Ephs started the first period with a goal from defenseman Hadley DesMeules ’16. The women battled for the rest of the period, but faltered on a power play late in the period that resulted in a shorthanded goal for Hamilton, ending the first period tied at 1-1. Hamilton carried the momentum from their late first period goal into the second period, notching yet another power play goal to put them ahead 2-1. The Continentals continued their offensive pressure for the majority of the second period, extending their lead to 3-1, but Williams responded with a power play goal from forward Michaela Levine ’16. Another power play goal from forward Andree Heller ’15 late in the second period sent the game into the third period tied at 3-3. Co-captain Cristina Bravi ’14 capitalized on a yet another power play opportunity, and put the Ephs in the lead 4-3. Williams held off the Hamilton offense for the rest of the game due to great goaltending from Margaret Draper ’17.

On Friday, the women again battled Hamilton, resulting in a 4-4 overtime tie. Co-captain Gabrielle Vukasin ’14 scored the Ephs’ first goal of the game off of a power play late in the first period, ending the period with the Ephs in the lead 1-0. The women continued their scoring momentum into the second period, as Perry McCarthy ’15 and Natalie Bernstein ’16 both contributed to the Ephs second goal of the game. The Continentals managed a power play goal, but the period ended with the Ephs on top 2-1. Both teams returned for the third period determined to get on the scoreboard. Hamilton started the charge with a goal just four minutes into the period. The Ephs quickly responded with a goal of their own as defenseman Hanna Beattie ’17 notched an unassisted goal. The Continentals proved to be a challenge, however, scoring a third goal a minute later to tie up the game 3-3. A power-play goal gave Hamilton its first lead of the game, but the women refused to end the game with a loss. The Ephs battled for the remaining five minutes of the period. They were rewarded with a goal with less than two minutes remaining in the game from Bravi, which forced the game into overtime. Despite several scoring opportunities for both teams in the overtime period, the game ended in a 4-4 tie.

“I think we played really well this weekend and it was great to come out with three points.  We played hard until the end, especially on Saturday when we came back after being down a few goals,” commented Bravi after the game on Friday. “We also made some adjustments to both power play units going into the weekend and we were able to get a few goals from each of them which was really encouraging.”

On Jan. 14 the women faced off against a difficult opponent in top-ranked Plattsburgh State. Despite a strong performance from senior captain Bravi, who scored a power play goal in the second period, the Ephs fell to the Cardinals 4-1.

On Jan. 11, Williams topped Trinity 5-3. Early goals from forwards McCarthy and Heller, and a late goal in the second period from first year Beattie, put the Ephs in the lead 3-2 heading into the third period. Emily Krueger ’17 capitalized on a power-play opportunity in the third period to score the game-winning goal for the Ephs, while Bravi scored a late goal, sealing the victory over the Bantams.

The day prior, Williams defeated Trinity 2-0. A late first period goal from Bravi, the team’s point leader, as well as a late second period goal from Heller, ensured a victory for the Ephs.

On Dec. 7, the women took on St. Anselm, in a game that ended in a tough 6-3 loss. St. Anslem established their lead early in the game, scoring three goals in the first period. Ephs forward Vukasin scored a late first period goal, but two quick goals in the second period put the Hawks up 5-1. A second period goal from Bravi and a third period goal from Krueger would test the Hawks, however a late third period goal would seal the Ephs defeat.

On Dec. 6, Williams notched a decisive 4-0 win against Sacred Heart. Forward Levine started off the Ephs’ offensive charge with a late goal in the first period. From there, the Ephs went on to dominate the second period, as forwards Bernstein, Krueger and Heller each scored a goal in the period to put the score at 4-0. Despite a couple more offensive chances for both teams, the game ended with the Ephs emerging victorious, 4-0.

On Dec. 1, Castleton beat the women in a tough 3-2-overtime game. Despite outshooting their opponents 43-27, an early first period goal from Bravi and a third period goal from Krueger, the Ephs fell to the Spartans in overtime.

On Nov. 30, the women defeated New England 4-2. An early goal from DesMeules, as well as consecutive goals from Vukasin, Beattie and Krueger secured the 4-2 victory.

In its last two games before Thanksgiving break, Williams fell to defending National Champions Elmira on Nov. 23 by a score of 5-1 and to Utica on Nov. 22 by a score of 4-2. Strong play from Bravi was a highlight of the weekend for the Ephs.

Results of the women’s game against New England College yesterday came in too late to report. Williams hosts Colby on Friday at 7 p.m. and again on Saturday at 3 p.m., kicking off a run of ten straight conference games.

Hadley DesMeules ‘16 scores the first goal against Hamilton
Photo courtesy of Sports Information