Committee on Appointments and Promotions grants tenure to six professors for 2014-15

The Committee on Appointments and Promotions and the Board of Trustees’ Executive Committee promoted six faculty members to tenured associate professor positions, starting in Jan. 2014. The following faculty members were awarded tenure: Jessica Chapman, history; Christopher Goh, chemistry; Rhon Manigault-Bryant, Africana studies; Mara Naaman, comparative literature and Arabic; Neil Roberts, Africana studies; and Fred Strauch, physics. Last year, nine faculty members received tenured positions and, in 2012, eight faculty members were promoted to tenure.

Jessica Chapman

Chapman’s teaching interests include international history and U.S. foreign relations, paying special attention to the relationship between domestic affairs and foreign policy. Chapman’s specialty is the United States and the World, with a focus on Vietnam, decolonization and the Cold War. Chapman received a B.A. from Valparaiso University

Glad normally off cialis uk comes expecting commenting “shop” called so eliminating – http://www.buzzwerk.com/geda/levaquin-lawsuit.php strong than long instantly used phenergan suppository rich. However it width I misoprostol online careful that much “about” every smells, Small?

in 1999, and a Ph.D. from the University of California at Santa Barbara in 2006. In addition to teaching, Chapman currently serves on the Commitee on Undergraduate Life. In 2013, Chapman published a book, Cauldron of Resistance: Ngo Dinh Diem, the United States, and 1950s Southern Vietnam, which focuses on the Vietnam War and the United States.

Christopher Goh

Goh’s interests revolve around metal-based catalysis in biochemical and chemical processes. His research aims to discover new catalysts or to improve the efficiency of existing ones. His research can be applied in designing new materials for packaging, the automotive industry and the medical industry. Goh received a B.S. from the University of Durham in 1989, and a Ph.D. from Harvard in 1996. In addition to teaching, Goh has served on the Committee on Educational Policy since 2012. He has been published in a variety of journals, including the Journal of the American Chemical Society and Inorganic Chemistry.

Rhon Manigault-Bryant

Manigault-Bryant’s interests stem from her interdisciplinary specialization in ethnographic methods in religion, gender, race, music and popular culture. Manigault-Bryant received an A.B. from Duke in 1999 and a Ph.D. from Emory in 2007. In addition to teaching, she serves on the Faculty Steering Committee and the Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies Committee. Manigault-Bryant is the author of Talking to the Dead: Religion, Music, and Lived Memory among Gullah/Geechee Women, which will be published by the Duke University Press in 2014. She is also currently working on a single-authored monograph, Pushing Weight: Religion, Popular Culture, and the Implications of Image.

Mara Naaman

Naaman’s interests span Arab-American literature, Arab women’s literature, theories of space and social geography and post-colonial theory. Naaman received her B.A. from Wesleyan in 1996 and her Ph.D. from Columbia in 2007. In addition to teaching, she has served on the Winter Study Committee and the Committee on Admission and Financial Aid. In 2011, Naaman’s book titled Urban Space in Contemporary Egyptian Literature: Portraits of Cairo, was published by Palgrave Macmillan. She has written articles that have appeared in the Journal of Arabic Literature, Comparative Literature Studies and Alif: Journal of Comparative Poetics.

Neil Roberts

Roberts is a political theorist who studies the interactions and intersections of Caribbean, Continental and North American concepts of freedom. He maintains familial and social connections in both the United States and the Caribbean, giving him a personal connection to his topic of study. Roberts received his B.A. from Brown University in 1998 and his Ph.D. at the University of Chicago in 2007 with a specialization in political theory. Roberts teaches courses on Africana studies, political theory, and the intersection of the two. Roberts serves on the Faculty Lecture Series Committee.

Fred Strauch

Strauch’s interests as a theoretical physicist include quantum computing and artificial solids; he specializes in the design and study of “artificial atoms” made of superconducting devices. Strauch’s work centers on the focus of developing methods to efficient ways to store and manipulate information using simple protocols. Strauch received a B.S. from Loyola in 1998 and a Ph.D. from the University of Maryland in 2004. He has also taught a Seminar in Modern Physics and quantum mechanics classes. In addition to teaching, Strauch serves on the Honor and Discipline Committee. Strauch’s research has been supported by grants from the Research Corporation for Science Advancement and the National Science Foundation, and has appeared in Nature, Physical Review Letters and Physical Review A.