Wrestling overpowers Trinity to start 2013

Anthony Brooks ’16 helped secure the men’s 37-15 victory over Trinity on Saturday by winning his 197 lb. bout with a pin in 1:44. -  Photo Courtesy of Sports Information
Anthony Brooks ’16 helped secure the men’s 37-15 victory over Trinity on Saturday by winning his 197 lb. bout with a pin in 1:44. – Photo Courtesy of Sports Information

Last Saturday, wrestling (1-0) faced off against NESCAC foe Trinity and came away with a resounding 37-15 victory.

The day began with Dan Evangelakos ’15 competing in the 133 lb. weight class. Evangelakos defeated Bantam Scott Gonzales by a margin of 10-2, scoring the first points for the Ephs. In the 141 lb. weight class, co-captain Carson Brooks ’14 added to the men’s lead with a pin of his opponent in just 2:43.

With two match wins under their belts, the Ephs did not slow down as the day progressed. At 157 lbs., Jorge Lopez ’16 started his season off strong, hoping to begin another dominant season to follow his standout rookie season. He took down Bantam John Williams, pinning him in 6:19. Co-captain Kyle Gaffney ’15 also came away with an 8-7 win at 165 lbs. Anthony Brooks ’16, wrestling in the 197 lb. weight class, rounded out the victory for the men, defeating Trinity’s Taylor Hennessy with a pin in 1:44.

The only losses on the day came from first-years wrestling in their first collegiate competition. Martin Strenk ’17 lost in a close 4-1 decision in the 174 lb. weight class. Kevin Hernandez ’17, wrestling at 184 lbs., fell to Bantam Joseph Gerish in a pin at 1:41. At 285 lbs., heavyweight Charles Levin ’17 lost his match when he was pinned in 0:28. The rookies look to build off their first collegiate match in the rest of the season.

“Each member of the team has different areas where they can experience the most growth,” Head Coach Scott Honecker said. “We are working with them one-on-one to develop them technically throughout the season. Fortunately, we have an extremely talented roster.”

Two Ephs, Daniel Sedita ’16 and Timothy Garripoli ’16, won by forfeit, adding to the men’s final total of 37 points, which was enough to provide the men with their first win of the season.

“I was really impressed with the cohesiveness of the team,” Honecker said. “Although we are an individual sport, it takes a total team effort. Everyone has been paying the price together, and we are all pushing in the same direction. We are stronger as a group than we would be as an assortment of individuals.”

This Saturday the men will travel to Springfield for their first invitational of the season. The Ephs will compete at the Doug Parker Invitational beginning at 10 a.m. The tournament will feature 20 teams.