Women’s track looks to senior leadership

Women’s track and field is preparing for a strong and exciting upcoming indoor season. Last year, the team finished seventh at the Div. III NCAA National Indoor Championship, and the team hopes to qualify both individuals and relays to this year’s championship with the goal of placing well as a team. New Head Coach Nate Hoey has set high goals for the team and anticipates a rewarding and successful season. The team’s first competition will be Dec. 7 at the Smith Invitational.

The team will miss the leadership and contributions of several graduated seniors, notably jumpers Julie Paschal ’13 and former tri-captain Brooke Johnson ’13, former tri-captain sprinter and jumper Tanasia Hoffler ’13, sprinter Desiree Daring ’13 and former tri-captain mid-distance runner Rebecca Fine ’13. This year, the women will be led by co-captains Brianne Mirecki ’14, Amina Avril ’14, Annie Lynch ’14, Amanda Murashige ’14 and Jenna Adams ’14. The Ephs also welcome new Assistant Coach Justin Germani.

The team looks forward to the addition of new rookies across all events to the already strong team of returning athletes. Lynch and Murashige, along with Dianna Mejia ’15, will lead the sprinters, and Mirecki, a national competitor in the mile, will lead the mid-distance group.

The longer distance squad will include many strong returning competitors, including Kaleigh Kenny ’14, Louisa Lee ’14 and Lacey Serletti ’16. In the field events, national competitor and All-American Avril will lead the throws, and Adams, also a national competitor, will return to compete in the pole vault. The team will be able to build on last year’s performances in the jumps as well.

“Our aspirations are to put ourselves into a position to compete for the NESCAC title and to advance as many people as possible to the NCAA National Championship meet both indoors and outdoors,” said Hoey. “However, our expectations completely revolve around the daily process. [We want] for each individual on the team to passionately pursue excellence in their respective events and come together as one unified supportive team. Every single person in the group has something they can bring to the table to make the team better. That is our focus this season.”

The women’s first meet is on Dec. 7 at the Smith Invitational. Events will start at 11 a.m.