Spring Street Blues – Week of Nov. 13, 2013

Tuesday 11-05-13

10:51 p.m., Hopkins Drive: Three students approached a Campus Safety and Security vehicle to report that one of them had just been flashed by a man wearing no pants. While taking the report a fourth person came in to report the same individual. A description was taken and all officers, as well as the Williamstown Police Department (WPD), were alerted and began a sweep of the campus. Based on the description of the vehicle and person, a WPD officer stopped a vehicle with the probable suspect. He was detained for a short while, and the WPD verified his identity. He was verbally posted from College property. Police took statements from students, and an investigation for possible prosecution is in process.

Thursday 11-07-13

12 a.m., Brooks: Officers received a report of a medical emergency. Officers called 911, and Village Ambulance responded. A student was transported to North Adams Regional Hospital (NARH).

10:11 a.m., Agard: Safety and Environmental Compliance received a call regarding someone potentially smoking marijuana in the building. Security was notified and responded. Officers did not find any evidence of smoking.

11:23 a.m., Thompson Physics: Security received a report of a smell of gas in the bathroom near room 007. Officers, a Safety and Environmental Compliance staff member and mechanical trades responded. There was a slight gas odor in the area, but it was not strong enough for the personnel to determine a source. A gas meter did not detect any particles of natural gas in the area.

4:07 p.m., Bernhard Music Center: A music department staff called with a concern about a substance on the floor in Shainman Rehearsal Hall. Officers responded. The substance was identified as a lubricant for instruments. Officers found some cleaner in the custodial closet and cleaned up the floor along with the staff member.

Friday 11-08-13

2:01 a.m., Walden Street: Officers responded to a noise complaint in the area of two people having a loud and extended argument. WPD was called because the area reported was a town parking lot. Officers observed the conflict; a male was leaning into the driver’s side window speaking to the female driver very loudly. They were not students. They were informed of the complaint, apologized for the noise and said they would leave the area. WPD arrived shortly after and identified the individuals.

5:54 p.m., Chandler Gym: Officers received a report of an injured student. The student possibly broke his nose in Lasell Gym and reported feeling light-headed as well. Village Ambulance was called and responded. The student was transported to NARH.

9:30 p.m., Greylock Quad: An officer reported a moose entering the Greylock Quad from Field Park. All officers as well as WPD officers responded to the area to monitor the situation because of the inherent danger of the moose. It was imperative to try to limit human contact with the moose. The moose was followed and guided down Hoxsey Street then into the woods beyond the Oakley Center.

11:14 p.m., Sage: Security received a report of a medical emergency concerning an intoxicated student. Security called 911. Village Ambulance transported the student to NARH.

Saturday 11-09-13

2:26 a.m., Agard: Officers responded to a noise complaint. There were five students in the kitchen listening to music. They were informed of the complaint, and they turned off the music.

3:27 a.m., Thompson Physics Lab: Officers received a report of an intoxicated individual laying in the first floor hallway. A description was taken. As officers arrived, an individual matching the description came out of the atrium and ran through the quad toward Spencer House. Officers followed but lost the student as he ran down Hoxsey Street and the Stetson Court area. Officers returned to Thompson Physics to take students’ statements. They did not recognize this person to be a student.

3:42 a.m., Garfield: Someone activated the emergency phone. Officers responded and determined that the area was clear. Officers noticed an individual in the first floor lounge matching the description of the intoxicated individual who ran from Thompson Physics Lab. They entered, and he admitted to being the person running from the area. He was identified and was not a student. The individual called a friend and left campus for the night.

11:40 a.m., Gladden: Officers received a report regarding what looked like dog feces in a Gladden common room. An officer cleaned up the feces. A dog was seen in the quad earlier, but no one knew if the dog had been in the building.

2:30 p.m., Weston Field: Security found an unconscious student sitting in a vehicle at Weston Field. Village Ambulance transported the student to NARH.

3:42 p.m., Weston Field: An intoxicated person was found asleep and snoring on the toilet in the men’s room. Village Ambulance evaluated the person, who signed a refusal for transport.

9:30 p.m., Tyler: Security received noise and disturbance complaints. Security talked to several students, and students turned the music down or off.

11:39 p.m., Haystack Monument: Officers responded to an emergency phone activation at the Haystack Monument. An officer observed someone running toward the south entrance of the Mission.

Sunday 11-10-13

12:15 a.m., Agard: Officers responded to the Agard area for multiple emergency phone activations from the Bronfman, Agard/Health Center and Agard/South Street emergency phones. One officer observed three individuals hiding in the woods. WPD was requested and responded to the area. The individuals were flushed out of the woods, and the ensuing pursuit resulted in one person being apprehended. The individual was a highly intoxicated high school youth. WPD requested an ambulance because of his condition. He was transported to NARH. WPD is handling charges.

12:55 a.m., Hopkins Hall: Officers responded to the south side of Hopkins Hall for a report of an alum lying in the grass in need of assistance. He was not able to answer any questions coherently. Officers called 911. Village Ambulance and WPD responded. The man was placed in protective custody by WPD.

1:19 a.m., Goodrich Hall: Security called 911 for an intoxicated person. An alum was found vomiting in the restroom. Village Ambulance EMTs evaluated the intoxicated person, and the alum signed a refusal of transport form.

3:50 a.m., Mission: Security received a noise complaint. Officers found a small group of people and informed the group of the complaint. There were no further issues.

4:41 p.m., Greylock Hall: Security received a report of a strange noise coming from a small box mounted on the wall. The box looked like it might be a thermostat. The on-call electrical tradesman was called and responded to campus to investigate the situation.