Men’s XC claims title at ECACs

From a huge field of 46 teams from throughout Div. III, men’s cross country emerged victorious at the ECAC Championships held last Saturday in Bristol, R.I. The ECAC includes all of the NESCAC teams as well as many other competitive Div. III teams. With an overall score of 26, the men had an undisputed lead over every other team, beating out second-place Tufts with 75 points and third-place Amherst with 84. In fact, this is the lowest score that the men have ever had at this meet, and it’s also their eighth victory in the last nine seasons.

In order to prepare for this week’s regional championships, the team rested its top squad and instead raced with its second seven runners. This makes the men’s win even more impressive, given that some other teams still ran their top seven runners in this race. “The result at ECACs was a testament to the team’s outstanding depth this year,” tri-captain Peter Drews ’14 said. “We talk about it a lot, but to score 26 points with our second seven is amazing.”

With a group of about three runners at the front of the pack for a majority of the race, Williams dominated with a one-two-three sweep. “This men’s group displayed racing savvy with super pacing and incredible kicks,” Head Coach Pete Farwell ’73 said.

Cole Townsend ’15 was the overall winner of the race in a time of 25:43, with Todd Ford ’16 and Kieran Scannell ’17 close behind with times of 25:51 and 26:00, respectively. “Cole Townsend reaped a well-deserved victory,” Farwell said.

“Todd [Ford] and Cole [Townsend] are two of the most talented runners on our team, and they showed that [last] weekend,” Drews said.

The men benefited from top performances at the right time, including a good showing from Scannell, who has been battling health issues for a majority of the season. “Kieran … cut nearly a full minute from his previous best while showing he’s the ‘real deal’ within some of the best of our squad,” Farwell said.

In fourth place for Williams and seventh overall in the race was David Folsom ’17 with a time of 26:11. Daniel Siegel ’15 came in 13th overall with a time of 26:26, while Andrew Beaudoin ’15 was 27th overall in 26:52. Noah Williams ’17 finished in 36th in a time of 26:57.

“It was a great way to cap off the season for a lot of these guys, and it gives us confidence going into Regionals next weekend,” Drews said.

Townsend, Ford, Scannell and Siegel all came out with All-ECAC honors for placing among the top 15 finishers as well.

With the season approaching its end, the national No. 5 ranked team is in good shape to do well at NCAA Div. III regionals this weekend at the University of Southern Maine and hopefully perform at Div. III Nationals on Nov. 23 in Hanover, Ind.