Men’s squash rosters young, talented team

Full of tight drives, precise dropshots and extreme physicality, the winter season should anticipate some great matches in the Simon Squash Center as men’s squash prepares for the start of its season. The men are looking to back up an impressive finish at last season’s national team championships. “We have an unprecedented depth in the line-up, and the team looks ready for a hard season to come,” Head Coach Zafi Levy ’01 said.

With impressive results throughout last year, men’s squash finished 10th in the nation in the 2012-13 season, falling in a tight match to Western Ontario in the finals of the Hoehn Cup. Teams ranked ninth to 16th nationally competed at the event.

After graduating a veteran class of four seniors in the starting nine, this season’s team looks much younger. Under the leadership of great upperclassmen and co-captains Taylor Foehl ’14 and Andy Maruca ’14, the Ephs are looking to use this youth to reinvigorate the program. “We are coming off a great finish, and though we lack some of the experience of last year, we have a group of very talented underclassmen ready to step up this year,” Maruca said.

This year, five first-years join the ranks, some of whom will be in the starting nine, helping to replace the talent lost last year. This group joins a class of five returning sophomores bolstering the line-up. “After some hard training this preseason, I’m feeling confident going into our first weekend of matches,” Foehl said. “Some of our younger guys really improved. With the talent that we lost last year, everybody needs to step up to fill the holes, and we are up to the challenge. We just have to stay injury-free and leave it all out on the court.” As the Ephs have struggled with injuries in the past, the young team is pursuing strategies to alleviate this threat in the coming months.

The first weekend for the Ephs comes with five home matches. On Friday, the men play Western Ontario and Hamilton at 5 p.m. and 8 p.m., respectively, followed by a match against Rochester on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. On Sunday, they play Stanford and Tufts at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m., respectively.