Men’s hockey to rely on talented young roster

Brian McNamara ’15 looks to anchor the men on defense this season. - Photo Courtesy of Sports Information
Brian McNamara ’15 looks to anchor the men on defense this season. – Photo Courtesy of Sports Information

Men’s ice hockey looks to kick-off this season with strong performances this weekend against Colby and Bowdoin. Coming off a solid winter campaign last year that ended in a difficult 2-1 loss to Bowdoin in the NESCAC final, the men are looking for redemption right off the bat.

This weekend presents a big opportunity for the men to assert themselves against tough NESCAC foes and position themselves atop the conference standings. Entering his 25th year at Williams, Head Coach Bill Kangas will once again lead the Ephs. The team’s co-captains for the season are Paul Steinig ’14 and Nick Anderson ’14.

The team has put in a lot of time this off-season, both on and off the ice, in order to ready themselves for the year. “[Head Strength and Conditioning] Coach [Rob] Livingstone always does a fantastic job with our guys, gearing them up for the season, and this season is no exception,” Anderson said.

Having lost five forwards and a defenseman to graduation at the end of last year, including three of their top five goal scorers, the team must look to revamp its roster to create new offensive production. The Ephs will rely on Anderson and Steinig to anchor the offense, along with returning leading goal scorer Peter Mistretta ’15.

On defense, the men are led by Second Team All-NESCAC stalwart Sean Dougherty ’14 between the pipes and assistant captain David Jarrett ’15.

The nine incoming rookies are also looking to contribute from the onset.

“Our freshmen have come in strong and ready to compete,” Anderson said. “But more than that, they are all great guys and great teammates, and they have added a lot to our team in a short span,” Steinig said.

Without a doubt, a major highlight of their season will be the opportunity to play under the lights at Fenway Park in Boston. Playing Trinity will be a “once in a lifetime experience,” Steinig said, “but we’ve been doing a good job [of] focusing day-by-day and taking care of what’s right in front of us before looking too far ahead.”

With their eyes set on their first ever NESCAC title and beyond, the team’s philosophy remains grounded in taking it one period at a time and continuing to improve over the long season.

Their journey begins this Saturday night at 7 p.m. against Colby and continues Sunday afternoon with a NESCAC final rematch against Bowdoin at 3 p.m. Both games are at home at Lansing Chapman rink.