Athletes of the Week: Kristi Kirshe ’17 & Cole Townsend ‘15

Claire Miller ’15
Kristi Kirshe ’17
Kristi Kirshe ’17
Women’s soccer (Franklin, Mass.)

“Kirshe is phenomenally dangerous in and around the goal. She is an exciting player to watch because she is always threatening to score or helping other people get opportunities to score. She’s an incredible competitor, and I expect the NCAA tournament to bring out the best in her and our team.” – Michelyne Pinard, Head Coach

Kirshe was a constant menace in and around the penalty area during the women’s 2-0 victory over Trinity on Saturday. She took four shots, all of which were on target. She also scored the women’s second goal. After the Bantams’ goalkeeper saved an initial shot, the ball went uncleared, and Kirshe pounced on it and slotted it home to seal the victory for the Ephs. Against Middlebury on Sunday, Kirshe took only one shot, but she forced the Panthers netminder into making a fingertip save.

User Kushaina ’14
Cole Townsend ’15
Cole Townsend ’15
Men’s cross country (Buffalo, N.Y.)

“Cole is a master of running at threshold, that critical level of relining on the brink of going into oxygen debt. He couples that with patient pacing and a great building kick that takes best advantage of his speed. In this ECAC Championship, that was the key to his victory.” – Pete Farwell ’73, Head Coach

Townsend helped the men secure the ECAC crown by winning the overall race in a time of 25:43. He started the race behind the lead runners, but by the middle of the race, he had pulled even with the lead pack. With a few miles to go, he kicked it into another gear, running away from his teammates and crossing the finish line first. He ended up winning the race by a solid eight seconds, finishing ahead of fellow Eph Todd Ford ’16. Townsend earned All-ECAC honors for his performance.

• Kathy Kirshe

In case you didn’t see this on Facebook.

• Kathy Kirshe

In case you didn’t see this.