Captains’ Corner: Louisa Lee ’14

Louisa Lee '14
Louisa Lee ’14

What’s your major?

Art History.

What’s your pregame ritual?

We have a few that we do before every race as a team, like a warm-up routine, then stride off the line and cheer. But we also make ribbons at the start of each year. I’d be lost without my lucky ribbons.

What’s your most embarrassing moment in your sport?

In high school, I was running the last leg of a 4×4 relay on a really old track. The lines had faded away around the start, and the track was so old that the distances were sort of off. I kicked in to what I thought was the finish until the crowd screamed that I had 10 more meters to go.

What’s your least favorite school to play at?

Probably Wesleyan. Their course is boring and far away from the actual school, so they never have many fans.

What was an achievement in your sport that you feel proudest about?

This year at our Little Three meet, our top 11 girls came in before any of Amherst’s or Wesleyan’s runners. That was pretty fun.

If you could play another sport at Williams, what would it be?

Ultimate Frisbee. I wish I were coordinated enough… Plus, they seem like a fun team.

What is the team tradition you value most?

We have a large team, but only the top seven girls run at Nationals. Every year, we get a huge caravan of people making the 15-hour-plus drive to Indiana to watch the women’s team and the men’s team race. Having 40 teammates there, covered in body paint and cheering wildly is probably the best thing ever. The guy’s team started this one, but the girl’s team is now out in force.

Which professor would you most like to play against in your sport?

Probably Professor [of Geosciences Bud] Wobus. Even if he could beat me, he’d be too nice and let me win.

What is the most attractive team at Williams?

Oh, men’s XC. Hands down. Those short shorts.

What’s your favorite song to listen to at the gym?

Anything Justin Timberlake.

What’s your favorite snack before a game?

Not to be a stereotypical runner, but PB&J has never failed me.

Who’s your pro athlete crush?

I’ll let John Isner and Adam Scott compete for my love.*

*Lee later contacted the ‘Record’ to provide photographic evidence of research she conducted documenting the raging debate for her heart, including photos of Cristiano Ronaldo, who probably should have won.