XC cruises to Planksy win

Last weekend, past and present cross country runners flocked to the Plansky Invitational and Alumni Bowl from near and far to celebrate the sport that they love. Alumni and current runners competed side-by-side in a co-ed 5k race at the team’s home course at Mount Greylock Regional High School. Both the women and men won the meet handily. The men earned a perfect score of 15 ahead of Conn. College with 55 points, MCLA with 75 points and Framingham State with 98 points. The women scored 17 points, beating Conn. College, who had 44 points; MCLA, who finished with 93 points; and the University of Saint Joseph with 111 points.

A number of accomplished alumni helped push the pace from the start of the 5k, and the current Ephs followed their lead.

On the women’s side, the overall winner was Lauren Philbrook ’09, but Anna Ryba ’16 was the first current student across the line in 20:03. Kathryn McNaughton ’16 was right on her heels with a time of 20:04, as the pair worked together throughout the race. Third for the Ephs was Sophie Chatas ’16 in 20:27, followed by Borah Lim ’16 with a time of 20:34 and Emily Shea ’16 in 20:41.

Several seniors culminated their college careers with strong performances, including Emily Barreca ’14, Caroline Miller ’14 and Meredith Sopher ’14. Overall, the women took five of the top seven places in the undergraduate competition.

On the men’s team, Kamm cruised to victory, which came as no surprise, since he was the Div. III 5k champion during his senior season and a qualifier for the Olympic marathon trials. Henry Koster ’14 was the first undergraduate scorer for Williams in 16:53, placing eighth overall. Matt Tarduno ’16 was next, finishing in 17:07 taking 10th place, then Max Heninger ’14 in 17:08 for 11th place. Rounding out the top five for Williams were Chris Cogswell ’14 and Will Kirby ’17 with times of 17:28 and 17:41, respectively. Cogswell took 15th overall, and Kirby took 17th. In the undergraduate competition, the men took the top six places.

Next weekend, the top 12 runners on the men’s and women’s teams will compete at the NESCAC championship meet at Conn. College. Currently, the men are ranked sixth in the country, ahead of No. 13 Bowdoin, but behind No. 4 Middlebury. The men last took the NESCAC crown in 2011. On the women’s side, the Ephs are also currently ranked No. 6 in Div. III. Middlebury is ranked No. 2, while Tufts and Bates are No. 11 and No. 21, respectively.