Women’s crew surges to fifth at Head of Fish

The women’s 1V boat came in fifth place with a time of 13:39.37 at the Head of the Fish regatta on Saturday. - Photo Courtesy of Joe Jannetty
The women’s 1V boat came in fifth place with a time of 13:39.37 at the Head of the Fish regatta on Saturday. – Photo Courtesy of Joe Jannetty

Last weekend, women’s crew finished its fall season at the Head of the Fish regatta in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. The team competed in five races, with most of the women rowing twice. The Ephs overcame tough conditions and strong competition on the weekend. The 1V came in fifth place, while the 2V took first in the junior varsity eight plus race. The University of Massachusetts at Amherst placed first in the 1V race. The novice ‘A’ boat placed second in the novice eight plus category, falling only to first place University of Massachusetts at Amherst.

The first Williams boat to race was the 1V in the collegiate eight plus category. Williams came in fifth place with a time of 13:39.37, close behind some fierce competition. Notably, the women came in just seven seconds behind William Smith, closing the gap after the 50-second margin between the boats on Oct. 19 and 20 at the Head of the Charles.

In the junior varsity eight plus race, the Ephs had two entries. The 2V women’s time of 13:52.04 earned them gold medals, which was the only first-place finish for the women’s team. They finished more than 20 seconds ahead of Saint Lawrence, who narrowly beat Williams on Oct. 20 at the Head of the Charles. The fun and aggressive race “truly represented the attitude that this boat has displayed all season” co-captain Sarah Peters ’14 said. The 3V finished with a time of 16:16.01 in the same race.

The women’s last race of the morning was the novice four, who finished in fourth place with a time of 17:54.11.

A few hours later, the team got back on the water for another round of races. In the novice eight plus category, the Ephs entered two boats. For many of the rookies, this was their first race of the season, which was particularly exciting for those who just started rowing this fall. The novice ‘A’ boat finished second with a time of 14:42.18, behind University of Massachusetts at Amherst. The boat beat crews such as Wesleyan, William Smith and Ithaca, all of which are teams they will see again in the spring. With a time of 15:45.9, the novice ‘B’ came in 10th, ahead of all the other novice ‘B’ boats in the race. “It was great to have the novices there and racing in purple,” Peters said. “Their enthusiasm is infectious, and they’re going fast, too!”

The women’s last event of the day was the collegiate four plus race. Williams took second and eighth place with times of 14:47.79 and 15:25.88, respectively. Both fours were happy with their results, ending the day and the season on a positive note for women’s crew.

With the fall season behind them, the team is looking forward to a great winter of training. The team will then begin its spring season with the annual spring break training trip to Myrtle Beach, S.C., in preparation for a race-packed spring season.

• madison

hi i would like to join crew and if you have any further information contact me please