Spring Street Blues – Week of Oct. 30

Monday 10-21-13

1:00 p.m., Hopkins Hall: A staff member reported that a motorcycle parked on the sidewalk located at the north end of Hopkins Hall was leaking gas. The motorcycle owner was identified, and the gas flow was stopped. It was then moved to an appropriate parking area, and an absorption pad was placed underneath.

4:17 p.m., Faculty Club: An intrusion alarm was triggered. The staff who armed the building upon leaving had been unaware that an administrator was still in his office.

Tuesday 10-22-13

11:16 a.m., Mission Park: A student reported the theft of a two-foot, black and white stuffed penguin toy with a black top hat and a red and white scarf from a common room in Mission sometime during the afternoon of Oct. 15. The student reported several residents from other entries in Mission have also had stuffed animals stolen.

2:20 p.m., ’62 Center for Theatre and Dance: Theatre department staff member reported that another staff member required assistance for a severe hand laceration. A Campus Safety and Security officer assisted with initial bandaging, but the injury required professional medical attention. A friend drove the injured staff member to the North Adams Regional Hospital (NARH). A personal injury report was completed.

5:02 p.m., Hopkins Forest: The Williamstown Police Department (WPD) called for assistance with a report earlier that someone might be hunting illegally in Hopkins Forest. Massachusetts archery season has begun, but archery hunting is not allowed in Hopkins Forest. The WPD also called for the assistance of an Environmental Police Officer.

7:04 p.m., Children’s Center: A staff member leaving the building for the night reported a suspicious, loitering person outside the building. Officers took a description, identified the individual and spoke to the person. There were no further issues.

8:43 p.m., Morley Science Center: A fire alarm was triggered in the physics building, where there was a report of the smell of smoke in the building. A pull station was contacted, and officers activated 911 for the Williamstown Fire Department. Officers determined the source was smoke from an outside wood stove entering the first floor area of the physics entrance.

Wednesday 10-23-13

5:54 a.m., Sawyer Library: The custodian in Sawyer Library reported a luggage bag and other items left in the vending machine room. Any such bag left abandoned in a public area is cause for concern. Once the luggage was checked and determined to not be dangerous, it was removed from the building.

4:17 p.m., Perry: A student reported a young boy around 10 years of age spraying silly string on buildings and vehicles in the area of Perry House. The officer on site immediately began looking for this person. Officers did not see the child or any evidence of silly string on buildings or vehicles.

11:19 p.m., Garfield: WPD called Security with a report that a 911 call had been placed via a cell phone and taken by the Northampton Dispatch. The caller said that they heard a girl scream outside in the area of Garfield. WPD checked the perimeter and asked officers to check inside the building. Everything was quiet inside and in the area.

Thursday 10-24-13

12:29 p.m., ’62 Center for Theater and Dance: A report was filed that a vehicle struck a light pole next to the ’62 Center. An officer found the accident was on the east side of the ’62 Center. The car was parked, and the driver had gone into the building, but the car had rolled across the drive, over a curb and hit the light pole. The light pole had snapped and landed on the front of the car. There were no injuries. WPD and members of the grounds crew responded. The grounds crew removed the pole from the vehicle. Electricians arrived and took care of the wires and power issues.

Friday 10-25-13

10:29 a.m., Bascom House: A fire alarm was triggered. Officers found the cause was an environmental contractor working in the basement. The Williamstown Fire Department and the College fire safety personnel also responded.

10:30 p.m., Currier House: A complaint was filed regarding a marijuana odor in the basement of Currier House. No students were present, and officers were unable to locate a source for the odor.

1:21 a.m., Tyler: A noise complaint was filed for the backyard area of Tyler. Officers checked the backyard area and found it quiet.

Saturday 10-26-13

2:03 a.m., West College: Students reported water leaking through the ceiling of the second floor men’s bathroom. The water was leaking from the third floor men’s bathroom.

11:32 p.m., Williams Hall: A report was filed of an intoxicated student needing assistance. Officers activated 911. The student was transport to NARH by Village Ambulance.

Sunday 10-27-13

12:24 a.m., Mission Park:  Security called 911 for an intoxicated student. The student was transported to NARH by a Village Ambulance.

9:41 p.m., Fitch: A noise complaint was filed. A small group of students were listening to loud music. The music was turned off.