Men’s 1V strokes to fourteenth

Last weekend, men’s crew wrapped up its fall season with satisfying results at two regattas. On Saturday, the novice and 3V men competed at the Head of the Fish on Fish Creek in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., where the two novice boats took first and 25th in the novice race, and the 3V captured 18th in the 1V race. Wesleyan took home top honors in the 1V race. On Sunday, the 1V and 2V raced in the Princeton Chase on Lake Carnegie in Princeton, N.J., where the 1V took 14th and the 2V took 47th. Princeton won its home event.

The Head of the Fish provides the important opportunity for the novice men to see how they stack up against other crews after their first season of college training and for many, their first season of rowing. The Williams novice ‘A’ boat finished first out of 36 crews in a time of 12:49, two seconds ahead of second-place finisher Boston College and more than 10 seconds ahead of the rest of the field. The Williams novice ‘B’ boat finished 25th, behind only two other ‘B’ boats and ahead of several ‘A’ boats. The race included several crews that the men will see in the spring including Wesleyan, Coast Guard and Boston College, so the first place finish for the ‘A’ boat was especially exciting.

“We were really stoked that our freshmen got that first ‘W’ under their belts,” co-captain Erick Quay ’14 said “More than anything, we’re excited about the opportunities they will have in the spring.”

The 3V raced in the collegiate varsity race at the Head of the Fish and came in 18th out of 25 against a field consisting of almost entirely 1V crews. The 3V lineup consisted of mostly first-years.

While the novice and 3V men represented the entire program with pride at the Head of the Fish, their 1V and 2V teammates were in New Jersey preparing to face Div. 1 competition at the Princeton Chase on Sunday morning.

This year is the first that the men have entered the Princeton Chase. The 1V finished 14th out of 61 teams with a time of 13:47, ahead of 1V crews that included Columbia, MIT, Trinity, Dartmouth and Temple. The 2V finished 47th in a time of 14:43, rowing in a lineup that included several last-minute substitutions.

“It was a great final fall race and a unique opportunity to directly see how we stack up against the top Div. I teams in the country,” Quay said. “It’s good to see that we are setting ourselves apart from our typical competitive set.”

With the season now complete, the men will head indoors to begin a long winter of training to prepare for spring racing.

“It was overall a successful fall,” co-captain Nick Evert ’14 said. “We put up some encouraging results at every level, from frosh to varsity. With hard work, we will have the chance to be very fast in the spring.”