‘Frosh Revue’ delivers slice of life for students, parents

A group of energetic first-years parodied life at the College last weekend, as they performed in the annual ‘Frosh Revue.’ Photo courtesy of Katherine Kiernan.

“Sit back, you’re about to have some fun because these eight frosh will blow your mind.” The predictive instruction of the four directors of “Frosh Revue,” which was uttered last Saturday night in the form of a rap, proved to be entirely fulfilled.

From the first musical number, an infectious enthusiasm and energy spread from the stage through the audience of parents and students. The eight first-years emerged on stage, dancing vigorously to the tune of “I Love it” by Icona Pop while rhythmically commenting on life at the College. The number covered everything from the perils of Williams Outdoor Orientation on Living as a First-year (WOOLF) to poking fun at athletes: “I won’t change into clothes for my meals. I’ll wear sweats.” They finally ended with an affectionate comment on the College experience, “We love it!”

From there on, one comedic scene merged into another, each carrying its own unique character and appeal. Ariel Chu ’17, of profound comedic talent, began as an oddly gremlin-like Henry David Thoreau. The audience was then transported into the world of Disney’s Lion King, with a conversation taking place between “Mufasa” and “Simbaxter.” From this conversation ultimately resulted a trip to the honor board for Jonah Levine ’17 and Nico Macdougall ’17, where many a quip about the Williams community was made. The lamentation “I can’t get kicked out; I’m a legacy!” provoked the most laughter.

The Lion King became Cinderella, with Devyn Hébert ’17 as “Sawyerella,” wishing to go to the roulette ball at Meadow with her wicked stepsisters played by Chu and MacDougall. It was in the story of Sawyerella that President Falk had the honor of appearing most prominently. His roles varied from a substitute for expletives in “What the Falk!” to the “Fairy Godfalker” who declared Mountain Day so Sawyerella could successfully play roulette and go to Meadow. But Falk did not emerge entirely unscathed, a jab was made at the sunny Friday passed over for Mountain Day with the enraged response, “We won’t talk about last Friday!”

This jibe developed into a more comprehensive satire of the dating scene at Williams. Garrick Gu ’17 took an engaging and expressive turn as Prince Chapin, the finder of Sawyerella’s glass swipe card. This paved the way for the second musical number, separating girls and boys and characterized by the chant, “Everybody stalks. Everybody stalks.” The line, “Everybody says you guys are so cute. Everybody says you guys will get married” garnered several laughs.

The next skit focused on the perils of having pre-frosh and the oppressive culture of “effortless perfection.” Chu and Madeleine Seidman ’17 were the two pre-frosh hosts, the four of them merging into an imitation of the family unit with the two students becoming an uncommunicative couple. But the overwhelmingly tactile masseuse at Stressbusters, played with great finesse by Scott Daniel ’17, reunited the couple.

This led into one of the more popular skits of the night; the Seinfeld-inspired scene featuring Levine as Jerry, MacDougall as a most convincing George, Daniel as Kramer and Seidman as Elaine, all decked out in flawless New York accents. Daniel departs to study on the roof of Schow and find an alternative to Einstein’s theory of general relativity while the other three search for Bobby Koons, famed physics TA. But Koons proves a disappointment, as Jerry accuses, “You just yada yada yada’d over the important stuff.” With this, she turns into an impersonation of the Soup Nazi declaiming “you want speed, you take square root. No speed for you.” With this Gu emerged as a wonderfully accurate characterization of Newman, trading his physics prowess for Jerry’s snack bar swipes for a week.

With this, the Seinfeld outro music came on and transitioned into a musical scene set to “I Will Survive,” commenting on the stress of freshman year.

Time travel then ensued, as Seidman, or Miss Driscoll, the engagingly entertaining bus driver transports three Williams students not to Stop & Shop but to Williams College through the years, beginning with the death of Ephraim Williams in 1791. They stop to chat with Ephraim before moving to frat row where we meet one of the seven girls on campus at the time. Here Gu exclaims “Only seven girls … What do the boys do?” to which Jacqueline Lewy ’17 responded one of the more innuendo packed and humorous lines of the night: “They got rid of goats, but now they have small balls to put in cups. It’s cute”. Finally, the bus returns with the bus driver’s observation, “You’re back in Williamstown now, so no basic groceries for you!” This rang far too true among the students in the audience. The final skit was aimed predominately at the student contingent in the audience, focusing on the infamous legend of the “sweaty man.” The frosh, in the guise of the Scooby Doo team embarked on a comical search for this man, eventually caught when he trips on a pile of his own sweat and is revealed to be the president of Amherst.

On this victorious note, the final musical number set to “Party in the USA” began. It carried the same joyful, effervescent energy that had characterized the entire production. By the end of the night, the audience was feeling as enthusiastic, relaxed and jovial as the eight talented first-years on stage.