Women’s crew slips at Charles

Last weekend, women’s crew sent two boats to compete in the prestigious Head of the Charles Regatta in Cambridge, Mass. The Williams 1V boat took ninth place in the collegiate eights race, while the 2V boat finished 11th in the same race. Grand Valley State took home top honors at the Charles. On Oct. 12, the women’s 1V took 12th at the Head of the Housatonic, while the 2V and 3V finished second and fifth, respectively, in a separate race. Yale took first in the 1V race, while Trinity took first in the other.

At the Head of the Charles, the two Williams boats faced difficult conditions that made for a tough course along the Charles River. The regatta was formatted so that each boat’s start time was staggered based on last year’s performance.

The Williams 1V boat was the third boat sent off as a result of their strong performance in last year’s race. Although the Ephs began the race with the fifth fastest split at the first checkpoint, they ended in ninth place with a final time of 18:52.126.

The Williams 2V boat was one of only two 2V boats competing in the collegiate eights race, yet the women still finished 11th with a time of 19:03.802.

This performance came one week after the team’s strong showing at the Head of the Housatonic in Shelton, Conn., on Oct. 12. Facing Div. I opponents, the Williams 1V boat placed 12th out of 22 boats in the collegiate eights race, while the 2V and 3V boats finished in second place and fifth place, respectively, in the non-Div. I collegiate eights race.

At the Housatonic, the Ephs also finished eighth in the collegiate four plus race against Div. I competition, third and fourth in the Non-Div. I collegiate four plus race and fourth in the Collegiate Novice Eights race, where Northeastern took first.

Women’s crew hopes to close off its fall season on a high note this weekend at the Head of the Fish in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. This race, where the Ephs have historically done very well, will give both the varsity and novice boats one more chance to gain experience competing against other colleges.

“Williams women’s crew is on an upward trajectory,” Head Coach Kate Maloney said. “We have had some informative results this fall and know what is necessary to find speed going into the winter. This is a good team, filled with hard working individuals, who I have no doubt will find a way to be competitive in the spring.  I look forward to working with them through the remainder of the fall and into the spring.”