Captains’ Corner: Sarah Peters ’14

Sarah Peters '14
Sarah Peters ’14

What’s your major?

Physics.

What’s your least favorite school to play at?

We don’t usually go to other schools to race, but I have a feeling most other school would probably say they hate racing at Onota, our lake, because it’s usually windy and it even snowed during our home regatta my sophomore year. But we love Onota. It’s one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been.

What was an achievement in your sport that you feel proudest about?

Watching my team win our eighth national championship. I think because we win a lot, people think that it comes easy, but last year especially, nothing felt like a guarantee, and seeing all our hard work pay off was really special to be a part of.

If you could play another sport at Williams, what would it be?

Women’s ice hockey. I miss playing contact sports, and I’ve always wished I’d tried hockey when I was younger. Plus, it’s still pretty much a water sport, right? Their water is just frozen!

What is the team tradition you value most?

We do something called Triathalon every January, which involves erging, running Ide [Road] (usually in the snow), running stairs and then erging again. It’s a little bit insane, but it’s the entire men’s and women’s teams together all cheering for each other, and it’s an awesome time to see everyone really come together as one big team.

Who’s your pro athlete crush?

David Beckham. But not with his long hair; that’s really not a good look for him.

What’s your pregame ritual?

I don’t have any specific rituals, but I always race in purple socks!

Which professor would you most like to play against in your sport?

Associate Professor of Physics David Tucker-Smith. People always ask me about the physics of rowing, and he’d probably be able to explain it. Plus, he’s tall, so he might actually be pretty fast.

What’s your favorite snack before a game?

Bananas and peanut butter. We always have some in our food boxes in the vans on the way to races. We’ve started getting the little Jif ToGo packs, which for some reason I find extra exciting. Something about things being in miniature, I think.