Women’s tennis topples Amherst with 6-3 team effort at home

Women’s tennis (4-0, 2-0 in the NESCAC) displayed mental toughness and determination as they beat NESCAC rival No. 1 Amherst 6-3 on Saturday. Although rain delayed the match twice and eventually forced it to move indoors, the Ephs refused to let the Jeffs get the best of them. What made this head-to-head matchup even more exciting was that many of the matches played were repeats of contests that took place in the ITA Regional Tournament on Sept. 27 to Sept. 29.

The Ephs went 2-1 in doubles to start the day. Rebecca Curran ’15 and co-captain Kara Shoemaker ’14 once again faced a strong Amherst team at No. 1 doubles and fell 8-3. At No. 2 doubles, Maria Pylypiv ’15 and co-captain Kathleen Elkins ’14 defeated their opponents 8-6. Hannah Atkinson ’17 and Riqui McCoy ’16 dominated their match, winning 8-3 and giving the women a lead heading into singles play.

Shoemaker played an exciting No. 1 singles match against one of her doubles opponents, Brewer, and this time defeated her 7-5, 6-0. Pylypiv fought hard at No. 3 singles against Newman. Despite losing the first set, she came out strong in the second to level the match, but eventually lost after failing to gain a foothold in the third set. The final score was 4-6, 6-1, 1-6. Linda Shin ’17 played a tough match and came out on top after tiebreaks in both sets, winning 7-6 (1), 7-6 (4). McCoy impressively crushed her opponent in two quick sets, defeating her 6-1, 6-1. In the exhibition singles contests, Atkinson dominated her match, securing a 6-2, 6-1 victory. Stone also beat her opponent, winning in straight sets 6-3, 6-4. Overall, the Ephs defeated the Jeffs in singles 4-2 to put the final match score at 6-3.

“It felt really nice to have a 6-3 victory over them,” Head Coach Alison Swain ’01 said. “Amherst showed the strength of their individuals at ITAs, while we showed our team strength in this match.”

The Ephs’ next contest is  the NEWITTS Tournament on Oct. 18 through Oct. 20, co-hosted by Mount Holyoke and Smith.

One comment

1. This is the only match that made me excited till the end.