Women’s golf remains undefeated in fall run

At the Williams Fall Invitational at the Taconic Golf Club last weekend, women’s golf stayed focused and emerged victorious despite trailing Middlebury after Day One. The Ephs got off to a rough start on their home course, finishing out Day One in second place with a team total of 316, three strokes behind Middlebury who finished the day with 313. Amherst wasn’t far behind with a total of 317, followed by Ithaca with 320.

However, the Ephs improved on Day Two, shooting a total of 313, while Middlebury struggled to repeat its Day One performance, posting a Day Two total of 326. This put Williams in first for the weekend, with a team score of 629, 10 strokes ahead of Middlebury, who finished the invitational with 639. Ithaca took third with 643, while Amherst came in fourth place with 644.

Day One at the Williams Fall Invitational saw some great golf across all teams, with 14 individuals shooting in the 70s, including three members of the Ephs’ roster. However, the women could not take the top spot for the day. Middlebury narrowly edged them out, scoring 313 to Williams’ 316. Sarah Hasselman ’17 and Tracey Kim ’17 led the Ephs on Day One, both finishing with scores of 77. Co-captain Georgiana Salant ’14 trailed behind the two first-years by one stroke, ending the day with a score of 78. Shelby Shote ’15 and co-captain Emily Wickstrom ’14 each carded an 84 on Day One to round out the Ephs’ roster.

On Day Two, the women improved on their already impressive Day One performance to charge ahead of Middlebury and take the top spot overall for the weekend. Salant led the Ephs on Day Two by shooting a 74, four strokes better than her Day One performance. This brought her two-day total to 152, which was enough to earn her second place overall, a mere two strokes behind Amherst’s Jamie Gracie, who took the top spot with a total of 150 for the weekend. Hasselman and Kim followed Salant, shooting 77 and 79, respectively. Hasselman’s score tied her for third with a two-day total of 154, while Kim placed sixth with a total of 156. Shote and Wickstrom both carded scores of 83, to bring their two-day totals to 167 each, enough to tie them for 24th place individually. Overall, the women had a team total of 629, which put them 10 strokes ahead of Middlebury and secured the top spot in the invitational.

“This weekend was a great win at home but also an important learning experience for us,” said Salant. “We must always play to our best ability and strive to win every day of the tournament.”

The women now look to their last competition of the season at the Wellesley Invitational in Wellesley, Mass., this weekend where they hope to finish thier fall season with another first-place finish.