Men’s XC outpaces Div. III foes at Lehigh

Despite running in oppressive heat, men’s cross country still had a great day last Saturday while competing at the Paul Short Invitational at Lehigh in Bethlehem, Penn. Running in the men’s gold race, which measured 8k, the men raced some of the best teams in the country. Placing 17th overall and first among Div. III schools, the Ephs performed exceptionally well last weekend. “We did well at Paul Short, competing elbow-to-elbow and stride-for-stride with some of the best,” Head Coach Pete Farwell ’73 said. “That was a great experience for our team, who is competing with spirit, training with dedication and on a mission this fall.”

First for the Ephs was Colin Cotton ’17, who had an impressive 20th-place finish with a time of 24:29. Following Cotton was co-captain Chris Lee ’14 in 52nd place with a time of 24:52. Their one-two punch had the pair finish as the top two Div. III runners in the field. Lee placed higher than Bobby Over of Allegheny, who was last year’s Div. III runner up. Overall, the men finished ahead of Haverford, who is currently ranked No. 3 in the nation.

Bijan Mazaheri ’16 finished in the top 100, running 25:21 in 96th place. Aldis Inde ’15 was next, running 25:59, followed by Peter Hale ’17 in 26:01. Cole Townsend ’15 had a great bounce-back performance, receiving a time of 26:13. Close behind Townsend was David Folsom ’17 in 26:22. Rounding out the finishes for the men was Daniel Siegel ’15 in 26:30, followed by Todd Ford ’16 in 26:32 and Andrew Beaudoin ’15 in 27:01.

Two other members of the Williams squad, co-captain Peter Drews ’14 and Noah Williams ’17, competed in the open race, running 26:27 and 26:44, respectively. Drews was very proud of the rookies Hale, Folsom and Williams for participating in their first 8k race. “This race showed what we are capable of this fall,” Drews said. “I think we have every reason to be excited about the championship phase of the season.”

All the runners who did not run last weekend will travel to Westfield, Mass., this Saturday to compete in the James Earley Invitational.