Men’s crew returns strong, experienced boats

The men’s 2V boat will look to the strength of its returning rowers for successful campaigns in the fall and spring seasons. -Photo Courtesy of Peter Remec

Men’s crew returns this fall with high hopes for the season. The team is coming off a successful spring that saw the 1V take silver at both the New England Rowing Championships and ECACs, while the 2V took gold and silver at those same events, respectively. After graduating only two seniors last spring, Nate Barker ’13 and Zachary Tarlow ’13, and with only four rowers abroad for the fall, the team is returning 20 members, while adding six first-year recruits to the roster. Additionally, the team has welcomed in two boats of walk-ons. The returning seniors include co-captains Nick Evert ’14 and Erick Quay ’14, as well as Julian Fernandez ’14, Peter Ellis ’14, Parker Finch ’14, Michael Luciana ’14 and coxswain Andrew Marsh ’14.

Under the leadership of new Assistant Coach Joe Gartland, the men have been hard at work increasing their fitness and expertise in rowing. The sheer number of men is in itself promising, but also exciting is the speed the varsity men have exhibited thus far this fall.

“This is one of the deepest teams we have had in a while,” co-captain Nick Evert ’14 said. “There’s been a lot of healthy competition in practice, and all three boats have the chance to be super fast. We are really excited to try and actuate that potential at the Head of the Charles, where we are the first team ever to have three boats entered in the Collegiate Eight event.”

Evert is refering to the second, and typically most competitive, of the three head races that comprise the fall racing season. The first is the Head of the Housatonic this Saturday. The varsity boat hopes to have a strong showing at the Charles, where it will see familiar spring season rivals such as the University of Michigan and Trinity. The men will also have the chance to race against other notable competitors like the University of Virginia, who along with the University of Michigan, edged them out by a few seconds last fall. The return of seven of the eight men from last spring’s 1V promises an exciting rematch, while having three Williams boats racing down the Charles together will also make a powerful statement to the other teams in attendance.

This fall season is unique in that for the first time in years, Head Coach Peter Wells ’79 has entered two boats in the Princeton Chase, a large regatta occurring a week after the Head of the Charles on Oct. 27. There, the men will compete against crews from most of the Ivy League schools. The addition of this race to the schedule is an exciting new challenge for the team. This regatta will replace the more laidback Head of the Fish regatta in Saratoga, N.Y.

This Saturday, the men will have their first chance to show some speed at the Head of the Housatonic in Shelton, Conn., where they will see competition ranging from NESCAC schools to Div. I schools such as Yale.