Ephs top Pride in OT thriller

Caitlin Conlon ’15 recorded one shot in the women’s 2-1 win. -Photo Courtesy of Sports Information

Field hockey (3-5, 1-4 in the NESCAC) narrowly defeated Springfield on Oct. 2 by a score of 2-1 as co-captain Emily Jablonski ’14 scored the winning goal early into a sudden death overtime period to secure the victory.

After an early Springfield run to start the game, Williams quickly took over possession and pressured its opponents, firing five quick shots at Springfield goalie Juliana Barrasso, including one by Catilin Conlon ’15. The sixth struck pay dirt as Annie VanWagenen ’16 beat Barrasso at the 13:04 mark of the first half. The women continued to control the pace of the game, but failed to convert on six more shot attempts as they went into halftime with a 1-0 lead.

Springfield made an offensive push in the second half and attempted to knot the score at one. As the Pride created promising offensive opportunities, the Ephs were pinned back on defense and did not attempt a single shot in over 20 minutes of play between 43:28 and 64:01. The pressure paid off as Springfield’s Taylor Friedman finally pushed it past goaltender and co-captain Ariana Spiliotes ’14 at the 62:26 mark off a penalty corner opportunity. The Ephs rebounded, peppering Barrasso with four quality shots as the seconds wound down in regulation time. Failing to convert, the game went into an exciting sudden death overtime, the first of the year for the women.

Driven to win after squandering an early lead, the Ephs forgot about their sloppy second half and dominated the short-lived overtime period. On a breakaway, Barrasso deflected a shot from Cary Hairfield ’15, but Jablonski, trailing the play, directed the ball into the upper-left corner of the goal for the game winner 1:58 into overtime.

“Springfield has always given us a competitive game, and Wednesday was no exception,” Jablonski said. “I think we came out stronger offensively because we are at the point in our season where every game seems to matter more than the last. We are certainly gaining momentum as we push toward our two league games next weekend against Wesleyan and Bowdoin. I also believe that the reason we came out on top in the overtime period last week had to do with our fitness. We are in a good place and hope to keep gaining speed and confidence as the season continues.”

The women travel to Wesleyan on Saturday for a 12 p.m. matchup. After that, they venture up to Maine to take on Bowdoin on Sunday at 12 p.m.